IGNORED

Hauling a Z on a trailer

Mike

I will soon be making a trip to Oregon to pick up my Z for a 250 mile trailer adventure.  Unfortunately there's snow in the forecast, so, it might not be as soon as I want.  Anyway, I've already found a few threads on this subject, but, nothing explains the proper procedures to do this correctly.  Do any of you have photos or advice for the trip?  I'm planning to rent a U-Haul car-hauler.  Here's one of the threads I found:  

I did see a few tips:

1. Nose first
  2. Use the provided tire-straps in the front
  3. Cross brace the rear end with ratchet tie-downs

I'm a bit concerned there will be some gravel on the road so I'm not too excited about winter towing.  But, if I may not have a choice at this time of year.  Does anyone know if it's a good idea to put a car cover on before making the trip?  I would think the wind would cause some paint scratches.  I'm not too excited about rain, if I run into it along the way.  Appreciate any advice you guys might be able to help me with.  Thanks!

Mike

Cliff had success loading his Z onto a open trailer.  As far as a car cover I don't know that I would suggest that.  You're right in thinking the wind pushing on a cover could act as a abrasive on the paint. 

I've seen car haulers use a stick on material before but I don't know where to get it. It usually goes on the front hood, fenders and windshield.  Another plan would be to rent a big enough covered truck to haul. Just strap down on the wheels.

Edited by gwri8

Don't put a car cover on if it is going on an open trailer, the front of the cover will be pinned against the car and the rest will repeatedly flap against the paint. When you take the cover off there will be splotches all over the car where the shine has been sanded off.

Edited by grannyknot

I've done it many times with my race car, buying/moving cars and helping my friend move Zs over the years. You can put some tape on the car like a like of people do for track days. I wouldn't put a cover on it. It'll just flap in the wind and probably do more harm than good. Your first two pics look good but #3 has the car too far forward. I cross brace in the front and rear. What kind of truck are you using to haul it? I've been using a 2006 Dodge Ram Quad Cab Hemi 1500 and it'll do the job with ease if you position the car correctly on the trailer.

Chuck

Edited by cbuczesk

In pic #6 the car is centered because he has a tire rack, wheels/tires and a big storage box at the front. He's also using an SUV so he can't have as much tongue weight. You want the Z a little forward on most open trailers to keep the weight forward just a bit as shown in pics 1&2.

I keep my race car as far back as I can in my box trailer because I have so much stuff up front.

Chuck

Here's my car on a U-Haul last year.  The U-Haul and other rental trailers are pretty tongue heavy when empty and the vehicle then loads very far forward.  I suspect the tongue weight on my factory hitch was substantially over the 500# rating.  We made it to Memphis and back with no issues but I have since joined with my son-in-law on the purchase of a car hauler so I can better balance the load the next time.

SAM_1134.JPG

• Like 1

I had a good experience using the U-Haul car transporter like Mr Arnett shows above.  My $.02 worth, park the truck and trailer going down hill before you load the 240.  It lowers the chances of scrubbing where the ramps meet the trailer.  It's a close fit so make sure and have someone watching your tires and the center of the trailer (don't try it by yourself, trust me).  Drive it for about 10 or 15 minutes on the highway then pull off and retighten the straps.

They pull so good you'll' forget it's back there, they have trailer brakes but still you don't want to run up on an almost stopped car.  Park under an over-pass if it starts hailing or something but with the car being so small and tucked in behind the tow vehicle it'll barely get wet if it's just a normal rainfall, I ran into one during my trip.  I set the cruise on 75 and turned up the radio after about 30 minutes, it's a breeze. 

Glad you are getting your Z back where it belongs. :)

• Like 1

Found the material I mentioned earlier.  I've never used it so I can't vouch for any of them, but I see them used a lot on new car transports.  I guess price would be my first criteria,  but I'm pretty cheap.  There is probably a picture of me in the dictionary somewhere under that word. LOL

http://www.transportwrap.com

http://www.mastershieldprotection.com/xport/

https://www.fellers.com/fellers-shopping/cat/special-use-vinyls/sub/paint-protection/set/auto-wrap-shipping-protection-film

This is thicker stuff (6mil)

http://www.wholesalemarine.com/shrink-wrap-film-6-mil-14-x-150-79172.html

Edited by gwri8
  • Like 1

Thanks guys!  I appreciate the help.  I'll leave the cover off and do what I can to put the trailer on a small hill for loading.  I am picking her up from my storage unit so most of the place is flat.  If I have a problem I can probably grab my big jack for the truck and lift up the rear end (if I have clearance problems).  @jfa.series1 and @siteunseen, since you have experience with the U-Haul trailers, do you have any advice on securing the rear end of the Z when it's mounted on the trailer?  I noticed the U-Haul trailer is open in the center so I'm assuming there are going to be mount points where I can use some ratchet straps.

I found something called an axle strap on the Internet, I may look for a set of these for the rear end.

50XX62X-6-AS-KIT-8T.jpg

I also found this photo of a possible mounting solution underneath the U-Haul trailer.  I am glad to see they have D-hooks on the center part of the trailer.  Just not sure where to mount these on the Z.  We will see when I get there.

DSC00471.jpg

As far as the tow rig, I'll be using my Lexus (Landcruiser) 100 series.  Here's a link to my garage with some details about the rig.  http://www.classiczcars.com/garage/vehicle/1858-lexus-lx470/

I will also take some photos of the solution when I get the car mounted.

Mike

The Lexus should tow it but I'd make sure not to go too heavy on the hitch. I clip the front straps into the holes in the Z's front crossmember and use straps that pass through the rear wheels. Both sets are crossed in an X pattern like in your pic. I put the car in gear and pull the hand brake on tight before strapping it down. Instead of parking on a hill you can just crank up the front of the trailer to change the angle. My race car has maybe 3-4" of clearance at most and I've never scraped in the ramp/bed transition. But I often have the air dam scrape on the ramps. I doubt if a Z at stock height would rub. Don't drive too fast. I think the speed limit is 55 or 65 in CA when pulling a trailer.

Chuck