zcardepot.com

Bumper conversion brackets for 280Z to 240Z small bumpers

Stainless steel bumper brackets to allow the fitment of small chrome 240Z bumpers on your 280Z.  These brackets bolt to the stock mounting points on your 280Z body so that no modifications are needed to mount early chrome bumpers.  

Rear: https://zcardepot.com/exterior/bumper/rear-bumper-bracket-conversion-280z-to-240z.html?search=bumper+brackets

Front: https://zcardepot.com/exterior/bumper/front-bumper-conversion-bracket-set-ss-280z-to-240z.html?search=bumper+brackets

650-182 Front Bumper Bracket.jpg

650-197 Rear Bumper Brackets 280Z.jpg

Nope. They look similar though. Nice and clean, not like some you see advertised.

Mine are 4mm Stainless steel SS316. I make them, but went with another design for my car so I could use the full 240Z grill.

IMG_1786.JPG

Edited by EuroDat
Photo

I just received a set of these brackets.  Here's my review: 

They are pretty flimsy, made of very thin stainless.  That said, the bumper from a 70-72 car is also pretty flimsy, so it's not a big deal.

The fit is poor.  Really quite poor.  The bumper sits too high and way too far out from the body.  I thought at first that I'd have to make the mounting holes larger, but after c-clamping the bumper where it should really be, I find I'll have to actually drill completely new holes.  That's how far off it is.  Maybe an inch or more.

The general angle of the brackets is ok and they are a good starting point, but if I had it to do again, I would just look at the design above and build my own.  These won't prove to be much less work when it's all said and done. 

I also bought a set of the rear bumper brackets.  Here's hoping they are a better fit, as they would be much more difficult to modify. 

image1.JPG

IMG_0265.JPG

The ones I designed fit great on my car and one other I have seen in person. The rest are mostly foto's others have sent me once fitted.

Having said that, I found quite a bit of variation in bumpers and mounting points on the different cars I measured. 5mm here and there can make a big difference in fitment.

Edited by EuroDat

Hi,

What's the bumper bolt size? 3/8"X1"  I see option for far less at hotrod shops than the Z stores.  Does anyone have the drawings for the conversion brackets so I can make them myself? Doing a '78 to '70 chrome bumper conversion.

Thanks,

Adam

Hey EuroDat... any fitment issues using the full 240 grill? Are your brackets listed for sale? I want to use the full grill for better look and airflow for the SR20DET in my 81 280ZX smooth top 2+2.

3 hours ago, AdamSozay said:

Hi,

What's the bumper bolt size? 3/8"X1"  I see option for far less at hotrod shops than the Z stores.  Does anyone have the drawings for the conversion brackets so I can make them myself? Doing a '78 to '70 chrome bumper conversion.

Thanks,

Adam

I bought chromed bumper bolts from Jegs for my futofab.com bumpers.  They were 5/16" x1" and would turn in the bumper's hole.  I wound up buying Stainless carriage bolts from a local hardware store and buffed them to a nice shine.  They look good.

I also bought 240 brackets from Chaz, Eurodat, for my 280's conversion to the thin bumpers.  The original 240 bumpers I had hanging in my rafters after buying the European style from futofab.  They were a little rusty and had those bumper guards on them but look better than the huge bumpers on my '77.   Me and another guy bought some together to cut down on shipping charges.

EDIT: The photo below with the measurements is from when I "thought" about making my own.  Those are Nissan brackets that I found on google/images.  @EuroDat was much easier and quicker than doing them myself.  Thanks again Chaz. :beer:

front bumper brackets.JPG

240 bumper.jpg

Edited by siteunseen
  • Like 2

Does anyone have a drawing for the rear brackets?  Do they mount to the body.  I have seen people say you can collapse the bumper shocks so the gas tank doesn't have to be dropped for the shock removal.  True?  Or can you mount the chrome bumper to the collapsed shocks?  I have seen pics of rubber seals/bushings on the tips of the rear bumper to protect the quarter panel.  Is this needed or are there other options like a simple rubber stand-off that can be mounted to the body and it hit's internally on the bumper, i.e. invisible.  I'm just looking for "Lesson's Learned" to save experimentation time as much as possible.

Thanks,

Adam

I like the urethane myself, it'll give a little where the glass will chip and crack.  I bought my Xenon from Jegs for 160 I think, free shipping too. I left the middle piece of the original front "scoop" under the Xenon to reinforce it. I ran it without that and it had a high speed flex-wobble. Put that back on and problem solved.

Fiberglass mounts nice and is rigid. Doesn't deflect down with higher speeds. Fiberglass is unforgiving with curbs and side walks. Urethane is more forgiving with impacts but can be harder to take paint.

I had fiberglass in the past but will have urethane on the new car...

• Like 1

8 hours ago, siteunseen said:

You got me there Charles,  mine's unpainted but I like that way. Some day when I have tree money I'll get it painted. LOL

I'm the same way, Cliff.

1 hour ago, SteveJ said:

I'm the same way, Cliff.

I prefer them painted. Looks a little undressed without paint...Each to his own...