IGNORED

1970 240Z HLS30- 06026 For Sale (original)

tse4me

There were some willing buyers at the posted price, but, the seller may have come here to simply inquire on the car's value.  I get the impression that @tse4me may not be up-to-date on what's happening with these cars, but, most of the frequent members of this site do.  It would be fair, and the right thing, for our members to share our impression of what a car like this should sell for.

@tse4me, it looks like you have a few numbers to work with in this thread.  There are a few buyers at the price you posted above ($9k) and I saw that someone mentioned a $15k price (I don't think it was a bid... more like an estimate based on the photos).  The next move is up to you, but, I think you could sell the car to a member of this site knowing the car would find a good home.

It's times like these that I wish I had my auction software online. :)

Mike

This thread illustrates one of the interesting problems with the site.  Are these cars collectors items, like old antiques, that people are buying for investment purpose?  Or trophies of conspicuous consumption?  Or are they cool old sports cars that we're buying to enjoy, drive repair and improve?  

The big arguments come between people who want to pump up or prop up the value, and people who want to see people use the cars.  I still go back to the basic fact that tse4me is just here for the money.  And the guys who offered to buy it are here for the car.  Now, whether or not the guys who are buying are buying for the car or the investment value is another issue.  Just seems disingenuous to get involved so that somebody can make more money from a member and then never come back again. tse4me will be long gone once he gets that cash.

Edit - and that comment about saving the car from a V8 seems fabricated.  tse4me didn't know anything about the cars.  He just stepped in to a lucky situation.

Edited by Zed Head

I'm just saying be honest, have integrity, don't get greedy, stick to what you said you were going to do.  That's to you.  Don't let these guys out here who want to see high values for every car sold sway what you're doing.  They could screw it up for you.

The corollary to buyer beware is seller beware.  If you sell the car for less than you could have squeezed out of it you're still happy that you got your price.  And the new owner is happy that they got a good deal.

2 minutes ago, Zed Head said:

I'm just saying be honest, have integrity, don't get greedy, stick to what you said you were going to do.  That's to you.  Don't let these guys out here who want to see high values for every car sold sway what you're doing.  They could screw it up for you.

The corollary to buyer beware is seller beware.  If you sell the car for less than you could have squeezed out of it you're still happy that you got your price.  And the new owner is happy that they got a good deal.

I really don't see any issue with the integrity or honesty  of @tse4me with regard to this potential sale, unless he actually backed out of an "accepted offer".  His original wording regarding the price was "Looking to get 8-9K for it".  To me this is not a fixed price and could be interpreted as "8-9K OBO" until a firm offer is accepted.  But that's just me.

• Like 4

A "good deal" is still being screwed up for somebody.  The guys saying it's worth more aren't really here for the person buying.  They just want to see a high value on the car.  

Two different camps, is what I'm saying.  Collectors and drivers.  It will be interesting to see where this one ends up.  Maybe prospective buyers should write a letter stating their intentions and why they should get it like they're dong for home buying these days.  

Zed Head,

I have ran an engineering company for 20 Years, never cheated a customer nor made them jump thru hoops. Since I do not belong to a zcar club, I have had a very hard time pricing this car. I take all of this as a learning process. It has to be a deal where both parties are happy with the outcome.. I appreciate your comments as well as everyone else's ( both good and bad). 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, DZman said:

So bottom line here, Is the car for sale and what is the asking price?

Exactly!

I don't think tse4me is serious in selling the car. I posted that I'd buy it and also pm'd him about it but nothing from him (he could have told me that his original asking price was too low). Not even a simple apology about his mistake in pricing.