IGNORED

Weber selection and initial jet tuning

blodi

Thanks! :beer: 

I'll order up a set. Can't hurt. I got a tool to remove the retainer. So I'll do that and just try maybe putting the Schneider spring/retainer on that valve just to try it. Also I'll look for any signs of the guide/valve being messed up. 

1 minute ago, siteunseen said:

Those are for a big cam, Schneider 270-90F, so not stock pressure springs.

Retainers back in 2/'15, $77.95 for 12

springs, $96.99 for 12

Yeah, I have a American Custom Cam 500/300 cam. So upgrading certainly won't hurt. Looks like the prices haven't really changed. 

4 hours ago, blodi said:

Yeah, I have a American Custom Cam 500/300 cam. So upgrading certainly won't hurt. Looks like the prices haven't really changed. 

I suppose you do not have a build sheet with the springs they used.

Did you notice if the cam towers have been shimmed and if the springs were shimmed to match?

Weather you call Schneider or Isky, either is good, tell them your cam and get their opinion if that cam is even usable for the street.

It would be interesting what they say. Also let them recommend a spring. Do not just buy some yourself and guess.

Edited by Lumens
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Lumens said:

I suppose you do not have a build sheet with the springs they used.

Did you notice if the cam towers have been shimmed and if the springs were shimmed to match?

Weather you call Schneider or Isky, either is good, tell them your cam and get their opinion if that cam is even usable for the street.

It would be interesting what they say. Also let them recommend a spring. Do not just buy some yourself and guess.

I wish I had a build sheet. I don't even know the bore of the engine. 

I don't see that the towers have been shimmed. Looks like the bolt right down onto the head. 

I just sent an email to Schneider to confirm what springs to use. I did order the above parts today, but they won't ship til Monday. 

Schneider confirmed that the 68022 springs are correct for my application. I also had to order a differnt spring removal tool as the one I had wasn’t working. 

Edited by blodi

I did one once and only once, it was a pain but using a very big screwdriver I was able to push the retainer down enough to expose the clips then used a pencil magnet to get them out and waboom.  The screwdriver came off and springs shot out.  This was with the head on a work bench though so much easier than what you're doing.

Telescoping Magnet

I bought one of these first but it wouldn't work under the cam.

Image result for overhead cam spring removal tool

This is the only one I've heard of that works.  There's a couple of guys on here that bought them and used them one time.  I think they would loan it out if the shipping was worth the trouble.

Image result for overhead cam spring removal tool

Good luck, kinda sucks you have worked the carbs only to run into this issue. :(

Yes. That first tool is similar to what I had and realized it won’t work because it doesn’t grab the inside spring too.  So I ordered that tool at the bottom which I’ve read works. I’ll post updates. I got the cylinder stuffed with rope already.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, esmit208 said:

Head has to be off the car with those.  The flat end goes under the valve then the "jaws" go on the springs, squeeze it together to compress the springs.  I have one and it works great but only on my workbench. :D 

Found a picture from @240260280

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTNsCqXesfc8PdPauxYoynrCvUPO6ju0rH_yKpMugn9MXEjkZZWGC3gbn32OQ

Edited by siteunseen

11 minutes ago, siteunseen said:

Head has to be off the car with those.  The flat end goes under the valve then the "jaws" go on the springs, squeeze it together to compress the springs.  I have one and it works great but only on my workbench. :D 

Found a picture from @240260280

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTNsCqXesfc8PdPauxYoynrCvUPO6ju0rH_yKpMugn9MXEjkZZWGC3gbn32OQ

Good Man SITE!

• Like 1