IGNORED

new paint job a little dull

bhermes

1 hour ago, bhermes said:

Anyone else here have experience with the 3M Finesse-it II product?  The cost is not to bad, about $50 and may be worth trying.

I am a little concern that the problem may be from prep prior to painting and I may be getting all that I can at this point.

Regardless may be worth the effort to try the 3M stuff.

Thanks.

Search Amazon.com and I think there is a smaller bottle of Finesse-It II for about half the price. You might also have a little oxidation on the single stage paint, which the Finesse will remove. And it will remove microfine scratches like Zed says. But it won't remove orange peel. If your car has orange peel, just make believe its a BMW! 

Also, if you try the Finnesse get a package of these to help. Use one for the Finesse and one for the wax. They are pretty handy & cheap.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0051MYL8E/ref=pd_bxgy_263_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=BWG8CRA6NWG1JDSNG1X0

Edited by Consigli
more info.

The upper picture has lots of orange peel in it. If the underlying primer is smooth that could be wet sanded and buffed but I don't know what you'll end up with. Did a professional shop spray the car? If so they need a lot more practice. I don't have a high line gun and work in a homemade paint booth and my paint comes out smoother than that. I hate that for you...

Just one of those "You get what you pay for" times.  $500. 

I was going to try myself but just did not have time then and needed paint prior to driving in the winter.  Cr was pretty much paintless at the time.

One day I will get it repainted but for now was just looking to get it looking a little better.

Will the 3M product help???

Thanks

The 3m finesse will help some but the real problem as Patcon says is the orange peel, you need to get all those little bumps down to a smooth surface for a real shine. I have used the Finesse on a few single stage painted cars and it works well but the prep stages before it are the most important. If you are not going to colour sand it because you don't know how thick the paint is, at least clay bar it first before you start the finer compounds and polish

4 hours ago, bhermes said:

Just one of those "You get what you pay for" times.  $500. 

I was going to try myself but just did not have time then and needed paint prior to driving in the winter.  Cr was pretty much paintless at the time.

One day I will get it repainted but for now was just looking to get it looking a little better.

Will the 3M product help???

Thanks

imho, you have already wasted enough $$ on it, dont waste any more..........

Personally, I'd probably pick up a cheapo $50 polisher from Harbor Freight and see if I could rescue it, but I also have an ill-advised tendency to start big projects that I have no experience in.  It's a good way to spend a lot of time and money, so that's worth keeping in mind.   I wonder if you could take it to a detailer to have them polish it out?  

To me, it looks like the paint was applied too quickly and there wasn't enough preparation done.  It is possible the painter also only applied a single coat without any sanding in-between coats.  If you have the paint code, I would take the car to a reputable shop in your area and ask them for opinions.  Don't wait too long because paint changes over time and it will be difficult to match the colors.  You could probably wait until next year when your budget can swing it, but I wouldn't wait longer.  Pick a shop that knows how to work on classics and plan on spending another $500-$1,000 to have it fixed.

Can you send a "before" pic and a few close ups of the paint near the window and door gaskets?  I'm curious to see what they did in those areas.

At this point I am leaning toward clay bar then either the Megular's #7 or the 3M finesse II.  Unless someone has other suggestions.

I did email the person that painted the car to see how many coats of paint he applied.  My guess is if 1 or 2 then I will probably not here back from him.

I realize that I may be trying to polish a turd here but worth trying a few things before repainting.

Going to a professional shop is probably the best idea but not really ready for that expense yet.

Thanks.