IGNORED

Black Dragon Closing

Jeff G 78

Just bought 2 front fenders for 104.95 each (plus shipping of 125.00 or 167.45 per fender)  plus lots of little things at very cheap prices.  Maybe I'll finely get my 240 back on the road.  Do NOT tell the wife! she's been after me to sell it for years - NO WAY.

• Like 2

Like several others, I also purchased a rear 240Z bumper from them. Must be a lot of sub optimal bumpers out their.

For those who haven't read the fine print, any item listed as backordered in the check out page WILL NOT be filled and should be dropped from your cart.

15 hours ago, Diseazd said:

I bought 4 front and 4 rear 240Z European bumpers....paid $1519.00. Wow....less than $200.00 each. Sorry to see them go....I always had good luck with Black Dragon. Good Luck to all the good folks at BD!

Guy,

After you made this post I checked BD again and the new bumpers were already sold out!  This is probably the best deal of the close out sale!  I paid $250 for an original bumper that was rechromed in 1987 and sat in storage for +20 years.  I still have to get the front bumper guards and my back bumper rechromed, which will cost a lot more than $190.  Last night I went through the BD catalog one more time and ordered a few more items and some duplicate items that were a good deal.  There were a lot more items sold out.  I promise I'm done buying parts for now. :)

Robert S.

IMG_0100.JPG

IMG_0103.JPG

IMG_0112.JPG

Edited by EhlersRS

Called in my order for front and rear bumpers yesterday!   Received email confirmation, hope they actually ship and not get lost in the mad rush.  Sorry to see them go.  Now I need to hunt down some brackets to fit them to my 73.

Ken

Maybe they'll have second thoughts, after seeing the rush to buy before they shut the the Z section down.  They seemed a bit behind the times, with their copied paper catalog pages on their web page.  Although, ironically, the other big vendor is going back to phone-in orders since the internet order system doesn't seem to work for them.  Amazon and Rockauto type web sites must be hard to create.

1 hour ago, EhlersRS said:

Guy,

After you made this post I checked BD again and the new bumpers were already sold out!  This is probably the best deal of the close out sale!  I paid $250 for an original bumper that was rechromed in 1987 and sat in storage for +20 years.  I still have to get the front bumper guards and my back bumper rechromed, which will cost a lot more than $190.  Last night I went through the BD catalog one more time and ordered a few more items and some duplicate items that were a good deal.  There were a lot more items sold out.  I promise I'm done buying parts for now. :)

Robert S.

IMG_0100.JPG

IMG_0103.JPG

IMG_0112.JPG

Don't make silly promises Robert.....you know you're hooked!

I have not ordered anything from them in a long time just because I have not needed anything.  Were they having the bumpers made just for them or will MSA or another vendor start selling them?  In other posts about their closing on Facebook and other sites people had said their website was clunky and shipping options were limited.  In the letter they posted on their site it was said due to the Datsun market shrinking or whatever.  If anyone has been watching the market it is only getting hotter.  It is a shame the owners did not seek out a buyer for the company instead of just closing the doors.  There is plenty of money to be made with these cars by selling high quality parts, providing high quality service, providing an easy to use website, and providing true world wide shipping solutions.  This is an ongoing discussion I have with fellow Z owners as vendors large and small disappear and are not replaced, it will leave only one vendor or possibly none.  Thankfully Nissan still offers a good number of misc. parts but its only a matter time until they decide it not financially viable or they just do not want to deal with it.  Nissan should embrace the classic Datsun community more and start offering more parts even if they were more expensive.  I know the money and the business has to be there but as the cars gain more value there will be more interest in restoring them.  Will they ever be as hot as air-cooled 911's, I doubt it but as we all know, classic Datsun's are not getting any cheaper.

Mazda's on the "This part of the business..." page.  Odd that they don't have a click-through to more details (found some stuff, see below).  I'd only use a credit card and contest the purchase if it didn't show up in a timely fashion.  Could be bankruptcy and that can take a lot of other peoples' money with it.

http://www.blackdragonauto.com/

Edit - Found some stuff - 

https://www.facebook.com/BlackDragonAuto/

http://www.powerofthedragon.com/?utm_source=Facebook&utm_campaign=FB_Farewell_SOC&utm_medium=Social&utm_content=Farewell#welcome

Edited by Zed Head

2 hours ago, jfa.series1 said:

The Mazda side is also closing down, it was in the farewell letter by the president

Thanks, Jim I didn't see that

So they are LMC, that explains the other part of the business. I am sure the volumes are better in their other lines and parts are probably easier to source. I understand the business decision but it is unfortunate none the less...

Well, I received the 1st of two orders today. I think that's about  the fastest I ever received anything from them. I was disappointed that the 260Z taillight gaskets I purchased were from two different vendors and were different thicknesses and don't line up with each other.