IGNORED

Scarab #160

Randalla

So it's basically just a list of Scarabs that two guys who own/owned Scarabs have.  Who started calling it "The Scarab Registry"?  And what is the web page that texasz (Allan?) is working on about?  Does he know Trevor and Craig?

The cars and their history look interesting but I hope it's not one of those cliquey clubs.  I'd like to know more about them.  Hopefully people will share some knowledge.  Seems like combining and validating what's out there would be a good idea before people disappear with what they have.  Internet information, contrary to early hopes, does not last forever.

• 8 months later...

A few pictures of the restored and detailed engine and Borg Warner T-10 transmission. I also included a pic of the engine as I found it. The body is coming along. Decided to replace both rear quarters, fenders and hatch. There was rust under the bonded fiberglass and I wanted to start with a solid foundation. The rest of the car was rust free but because the car was stored outside for some time, water found its way behind the fiberglass. More details and photos coming.

IMG_1974.JPG

IMG_1862.JPG

IMG_1898.JPG

IMG_1595.JPG

Grannyknot, Thanks for the compliment on the engine. I know about the car in your picture that was trailered to Z-Con. It's an attempt to make it look like a Scarab, but it's not a factory numbered car and from what I can see in your picture there are a number of things that are incorrect. My guess is this car was modified at some point with some parts bought ala-carte from Scarab from their catalog, but it's definitely not a factory built, numbered car. Do you have any additional pictures you could post? 

No sorry I don't have any other pics, the guy who brought it up didn't have the hood open and didn't seem to want to open it for me and if you can't take pics of a Scarabs engine bay then what's the point? So I moved on.

Maybe there would be more pics of it on the Zcon site, everyone there had a camera.

Scarab makes their own bellhousing?  Or do they just brand a GM one?

Still be nice to see some Chevy stats.  That's what Chevy world is about, things like 202 or 194 heads, 4 bolt main blocks.  Dual plane, single plane, high rise manifolds, M22, M21, Rockcrusher transmission, etc.  Without those facts, it could be a 305 with a Saginaw.  Not clear why Scarab is special or cool, besides being first, without some numbers.  No offense. 

Thought I'd post a couple of pics showing the Scarab factory ID plates as well as the Nissan ID plates on my car. Still seems to be a lot of confusion about what constitutes a "factory" car. All factory cars had the numbered plate shown. The longer plate was on the glove box door recess. Additionally, all factory cars had "Scarab" valve covers and bell housings. The C-pillar bugs and fender "Scarab" nameplates were also on all factory cars.

Zed Head, as far as Chevy stats, there were four different horsepower versions. My car is the 370 HP version (highest HP next to the few turbo Scarab motors built) with four bolt main, roller rockers, single plane Edelbrock Torquer intake manifold, block casting code 3970010, cast iron, angle plug, double hump heads (large valve) and Carter 9625 four barrel carburetor. The transmission in my car is a Borg Warner Super T-10 4-speed. Hope that helps you.

IMG_2216.JPG

IMG_2219.JPG

Thanks, that sounds like quite a ride.  But I think that you're missing my point.  I was trying to help you, I wasn't looking for help.

In the world of buying old things, provenance is a critical part of value.  My point early on in the thread was that there's no easily available record of what a Scarab actually is.  Without the "official" records, it's just a few guys telling the world how valuable their car is.  Where did you get the "370 HP" information?

As I said way above, I'd love to learn more about these cars but, to be frank, if you Scarab owners don't lock the information down, and make it available, pretty soon you'll be four guys talking to each other.

And your picture above shows a plain old chevy small block 4 barrel manifold, not an Edelbrock Torquer, on the "before" picture.  What happened to the original 370 HP Scarab engine.  Did they record engine serial numbers with the car sales?

Just trying to understand.  Help me out.  With the help about Scarab history, documented.  

texasz's (allan?) site is still down - http://www.pape.ws/allan_and_rosanne/Z-Car_Stuff/Scarab/

Edited by Zed Head

Appreciate you trying to "help" me, but I know exactly what I have. I've been collecting Scarab literature for many years. There's plenty of information detailing what constitutes a Scarab. I have copies of the Scarab catalog, price list, installation manual (for the do it your selfers) and most all of the factory sales literature and press articles over more than 20 years. The only motors that had roller rockers (the brand in my motor) was the 370 HP version and the turbo version (per Scarab factory literature).

I really don't care how valuable the car might be. I'm more interested in the car itself and its history. The before picture of the engine was missing the correct valve covers, intake, carburetor and headers but everything else was there. Below is a pic of the motor before restoration with the roller valve-train exposed. The restored engine shot shows the motor with parts on it that I had to source, though I will still have to have headers reproduced.

I'd be happy to answer specific questions you might have.

IMG_1665.JPG

19 minutes ago, Randalla said:

There's plenty of information detailing what constitutes a Scarab.

The only motors that had roller rockers (the brand in my motor) was the 370 HP version and the turbo version (per Scarab factory literature).

The before picture of the engine was missing the correct valve covers, intake, carburetor and headers but everything else was there. Below is a pic of the motor before restoration with the roller valve-train exposed. The restored engine shot shows the motor with parts on it that I had to source, though I will still have to have headers reproduced.

I'd be happy to answer specific questions you might have.

Where?  Can I come over and peruse your literature?  Kidding, I don't want to come over.  But if you want to copy and post it that would be fantastic. 

Why would somebody remove all of those parts and replace them with stock Chevrolet parts?  The only "proof" you have that you have a 370 HP Scarab motor is roller rockers under the valve covers?  After 40 years?

Are the parts you sourced "Scarab" parts or replica parts?  Seriously, it looks like you have Scarab stickers on the body with replica parts on the engine.  You dissed the guy that wouldn't open his hood but you have some of the same problems.  An unknown engine in a 280Z body with Scarab placards.

Just trying to figure out how to tell a "real" Scarab from a replica Scarab.  If there was some documentation that said "this is how car number XXXX was made" and replica parts were used to restore that would be one thing.  But with no documents, just the metal placards on the body that say "Scarab", really, what is it?  Scarab's fault really, if they didn't document their work.

It's interesting, I just don't know what's real and what's hype.

To be clear, all I'm really asking for is documents that describe what's what.  All that's clear now is that the first V8 Z cars were commercialized by a company called Scarab.  If all y'all Scarab guys don't save the documentation you'll be left with an oral history.

My Scarab knowledge is sorely lacking. I was under the impression that the Scarab's all had 327 c.i. engines. At least that's what a friend told me. He has a beautiful red Z that he claims is a true Scarab, but the more I learn about them, it appears that his may be a pseudo Scarab. Were all the Scarab's built with the same components?