IGNORED

"European Springs"

tanny

Mark,

My only experience with Euro springs is on a 240Z. They are supposed to lower the car by 3/4", not sure about a 280Z. When I put mine on, they actually raised the car as compared to the old original springs.

I would recommend you talk to the Performance Nissan people for more info. Are these supposed to be genuine Nissan parts? Those spring rate do sound like Stage II springs.

Marty

I have already installed KYB's and new urethane bushings on my '78 280Z coupe. I was wondering what the addition of some new Nissan European springs would make to the cars handling. Will they work OK with the KYB's?

European Spec Front Spring

122lbs/in

2.2kg

European Spec Rear Spring

142lbs/in

2.5kg

Not for 280Z 2+2

Fits 9/1974 and up

Anyone here running the KYB + Euro springs combo on a '78 280Z?

Mark,

My only experience with Euro springs is on a 240Z. They are supposed to lower the car by 3/4", not sure about a 280Z. When I put mine on, they actually raised the car as compared to the old original springs.

I would recommend you talk to the Performance Nissan people for more info. Are these supposed to be genuine Nissan parts? Those spring rate do sound like Stage II springs.

Marty

Marty,

Are you happy with the European springs?

Well, they are just ok for me. Remember mine are on a 240Z. I can't speak for anything about a 280z.

Mine are the Stage I, which are somewhat lower than the spring rates you are quoting. Don't remember the rates off the top right now.

Ride and handling wise I do like them.

Height wise I don't care for them much. They were supposed to lower the car by 3/4". In actual use they RAISED the car. Not sure what that is all about. Maybe its just higher than 35 year old saggy springs. Maybe it has something to do with the the Tokico HP gas shocks. I really don't know why, but I am not crazy about the look. As you can see in this pic, there is a lot of space above the tires in the wheel well.

http://www.classiczcars.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=7461&sort=1&cat=500&page=1

Marty

• 2 weeks later...

It's strange that you would never know that Performance Nissan has any early Z parts since these cars are not mentioned on the home page.

Marty, maybe your old springs were so worn out that they were actually lowering your Z further than the Euro springs do. Springs do wear out, and looses their strength.

The Datsun Service Manuals should tell you what the characteristics of the springs are. For instance, the 240Z Service Manual says the front left spring free length is 24.68 inches, and the front right spring free length is 15.2 inches. The installed height load for left spring is 8in/562lbs and the right spring is 8in/604lbs. The thing I always loved the most about the Datsun manuals was looking at the photos of the technicians performing all these service tasks on BRAND NEW CLEAN 240Z's. Nothing is rusty or dirty.

The ride height of those European springs looks quite close to the height when I installed brand new original equipment front springs on my 240. Lots of space between tire and wheel well. Unfortunately I was never able to find OEM springs(for less than a Bill Gates price) for the rear, so the lifeless 32 year old springs on the back give the car the look of a DC-3 tail dragger. Eventually will have to give in and buy some performance springs(didn't want to lower the z or have a stiff ride, but I can buy almost two complete sets of performance springs for the cost of two OEM rear springs). Just need to find a bag of money somewhere. :)