IGNORED

Help! The Air Conditioner I Got Doesn't Fit My 280Z

Redwing

5 hours ago, Redwing said:

I have found a great mechanic who is willing to do the removal and placing a different AC in my car, for no added labor costs.  He said he just wants me to be ok with the job.  Amazing eh?  

Thank you,,,l     .:D

Wow!  That restores my faith in humanity.....for a while, at least.  Sound like you found the right guy for the job.

Dennis

• Like 1

Hey Mark, by coincidence, I am in the midst of resurrecting my 77 AC system, waiting on delivery of a vacuum pump to draw down the system.  Prior to last week, my z car AC knowledge was minimal but I read the manual and am now smarter.

The main components for a functional factory system are :

Compressor     Condenser    Receiver/Dryer with its high pressure switch     Evaporator with its expansion valve

In addition are the vacuum components with its storage tank controlling the dash doors & the fast idle actuator.

Sorry to hear about your troubles Jai.  Both Motorsport Auto and Zcardepot have parts for A/C systems in the early cars but I don't know if they have the controls.  From what I understand, the controls for the early Z's were a small dial on the side of the dash.  Hope you can find something that will work!  Keep us posted.

Edit, after browsing the MSA site I noticed they have a complete kit for the later model cars here.  They don't have any pictures and it's somewhat vague if the kit includes all of the controls.  You may need to call them to make sure.  I also don't have any experience installing these kits, so, I don't know much about the actual install.

Mike

• Like 1

By the way, per this discussion I decided to add a new forum to the list called "Heat & Air Conditioning" on your behalf, Jai.  I moved a bunch of other A/C related threads into this forum.  You can also do a search to find other posts related to A/C in case I missed any.  Click here to search our site for the words "air conditioning" for example.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, hr369 said:

Why not reuse the old evap? 

I agree, that would have been the route to go to solve the fitment problem in the dash area.  Hopefully the new system lines can be adapted to it.  What about the blower Jai?  Did the new system retain the factory one?

This would probably be a good candidate to consider the Honda blower motor upgrade.

• Like 2