IGNORED

is it worth it?

Jake54

Just judging from the amount of time/effort he's put into it so far I'll bet that he was just like you when he started the project and soon discovered how much more work was involved and the project went underwater quickly.  Not only would you have to repair the stuff in the photos (plus more unseen stuff), I'm thinking you will probably have to re-do everything he has done also.  When I hear fiberglass, that means holes. My preference would be holes replaced with new panels or at least metal patches when possible.  Plus, I would really have to love those flares to try to save them, more work.   In my opinion 2K is too much for this particular Z.  I think you can find one for a little more money (maybe the same) that requires a lot less work if you keep looking. If you are local to the car, I would at least go put my eyes on it and make a cash offer then. Just not anything near 2K.

I wouldn't touch it.  These Craigslist Dreamers crack me up with their claims of "surface rust" and "the frame's fine".  

That car is a complete basket case.  You can see where the firewall has rusted completely through under the battery tray. It has also rusted into the wheel well.  From there the rust will extend down into the frame and the rail under the passenger floor is going to be shot.  The rocker panels are also going to be shot.  Those bolt on ground effects are hiding something.  Unless you have another $20K sitting around to restore this car then don't even bother.  The next stop for this car is going to be the junkyard.  

I'm not trying to sound like a jerk and I hope I don't come off that way.  This car is not a good candidate for restoration.  

Just to pile on some more...his ad's been up for 2 months; it's obviously not worth $2000.  Z prices are going up, but quite nice ones are still selling for only $15-20k -- they'll need to get quite a bit higher still for people to start paying for rust buckets.  With the market where it is now, I think he has a parts car and he should be happy to get half what he's asking.

Also, he sounds like kind of a jerk.

This is one that is going to break your heart and your wallet - stay away.  Try to dial back your emotions about wanting a Z so badly and let your logic and common sense kick in.  Rule #1 on these cars: buy the best body you can find and afford, everything else is bolt-on and can be fixed.

A lot like the first one though, isn't it?  L28 instead of L24, triple Weber instead of double, but bodywise, the same questions.  Even the same color. Welded diff, "upgraded" brakes that don't work.  Twice the price.  Not seeing a huge difference.

The triples are much more desirable than the downdrafts. If the rust repair has already been done then this car is further ahead. Also no concerns over flairs and fiberglassing in quarter panels and tail lights. Is more costly though...

Similar...yes, at least some of the body work is done. How well would still need to be seen in person. 

The engine could easily be replaced with a stock L24, if so desired for a reasonable cost. if one was looking for a more stock car, his mods sound decent if that is what your after. 

Although not numbers matched of course.  a lot of the "mods" could be put back as all these stock parts seem to be readily available from the guys that do mod their cars. 3.36 diffs are easy to find. The soft brakes might just be he put the calipers on the wrong sides?? Who knows. Bad M/C? Vacuum leak??

Until you look at it in person you never really know,  as for price cash is king. Make an offer and see where it goes. 

• Like 1

Grannyknot I'll keep my eye on it. He says he will post more pictures so I'll look at those. One thing I noticed and wonder about is why are the majority of ads seem to up by Seattle. I'm not sure if that is really true or just for some reason those are the ones that just keep catching my eye but it seems like it.