IGNORED

Heavy Duty Starter from California Datsun

6 hours ago, EuroDat said:

I thought most people go for the 280ZX units. They are like siteunseen just mentioned, gear reduction units. Try rockauto and you can buy a unit for $60.

Look up 82 or 83 280ZX L6 n/a engine.

Chas

So these will fit a 240Z just fine?  Nice.

6 hours ago, dmoralesbello said:

The real question is what makes the CD starter "heavy duty" and "lightweight" compared to stock.

It's california datsun. hint hint

Hey, Dave, you're in key biscane. You don't need to spin over a really cold engine.  Stock is fine for you.

You need to get that clock and tail lights installed first anyways.

Edited by hr369
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, hr369 said:

It's california datsun. hint hint

Hey, Dave, you're in key biscane. You don't need to spin over a really cold engine.  Stock is fine for you.

You need to get that clock and tail lights installed first anyways.

Hi Greg,

Lol! Totally correct on both counts. Your JDM tail lights and calendar clock will be on by next weekend now that I finally have some free time. I'll post those pics immediately afterward. I think I'm just gonna spruce up my stock starter with a good scrubbing and some paint.

I find it hard to believe that you would need a gear reduction on the starter for more starter torque.  The stock starter already has an insane amount of torque. How do I know???   I was once dead stopped on the 5 fwy in traffic, going uphill,  when my clutch went out (severe fluid leak).  The only way to get the car out of traffic and off the freeway was to turn the car off, put the car in 1st gear and try to start the car.  No problem, the car moved uphill in first gear when I turned the key and started running, much to my amazement.  I was able to get to an off-ramp while grinding a few gears and to a gas station.  Never again will I worry about the torque of the stock starter.

2 hours ago, motorman7 said:

I find it hard to believe that you would need a gear reduction on the starter for more starter torque.  The stock starter already has an insane amount of torque. How do I know???   I was once dead stopped on the 5 fwy in traffic, going uphill,  when my clutch went out (severe fluid leak).  The only way to get the car out of traffic and off the freeway was to turn the car off, put the car in 1st gear and try to start the car.  No problem, the car moved uphill in first gear when I turned the key and started running, much to my amazement.  I was able to get to an off-ramp while grinding a few gears and to a gas station.  Never again will I worry about the torque of the stock starter.

Great story ! 

• 4 years later...