IGNORED

New project-72

madkaw

Thanks for the referrals . Still not positive about the center bushing . The rubber bushings didn't come with one, but I know the urethane bushing utilize one.
I actually got the orientation of the washers and rubber correct. I guess I should use the bushing from the poly kit with the rubber bushings?

Sent from my iPhone using Classic Zcar Club

I'm not sure I would trust that the length of spacer tube they use for the poly bushings is the same length as the ones that come with the rubber.

I measured the length of the tube in this AC Delco kit to be 1.813 inches (46mm) long. You can compare that to the tube from your poly bushings:
tckits1.jpg

And by the way, this Delco kit is still available from Rock Auto, and I think it's very high quality for an excellent price.

Yup. Getting all the hardware with that kit was the main reason I took a chance on it the first time. And then I was so impressed with the quality, I bought two more to put on the shelf for the next time. The bits fit right, the large washers are very stout, the small washers are the right size ID. You might even consider buying two of those kits just for the hardware? I'm not sure you could find all the right parts without the bushings any cheaper (currently under $10 per side).

Important note... The pic on RockAuto's site doesn't show the correct kit anymore. The part number is still there and when you order that part number, you get the right kit, but the pic is just the rubber bushings. Good way to keep the good kits available to those "in the know" and not bought up by all the masses.  :)

11 hours ago, Captain Obvious said:

I'm not sure I would trust that the length of spacer tube they use for the poly bushings is the same length as the ones that come with the rubber.

I measured the length of the tube in this AC Delco kit to be 1.813 inches (46mm) long. You can compare that to the tube from your poly bushings:
tckits1.jpg

And by the way, this Delco kit is still available from Rock Auto, and I think it's very high quality for an excellent price.

Bruce - I previously bought this kit for my project a few years ago.  When I recently wanted to recommend it to a friend, I found that the product pics at Rockauto only show the bushings, no longer the metal components.  Several Google searches came up with the same results - rubber only.  Is this a recent purchase?  It would be great to find out that it still has all the items in your pic.

Jim

Edited by jfa.series1

Yes, it's a recent purchase. I just bought a pair about a month ago. The photo is wrong, but the parts are right.

Buy AC Delco P/N 45G25036 {#88913234} and you will receive the kit in my picture, regardless of what is in the pics on other websites.

That's why it's our little secret.  :)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, madkaw said:

Poly metal bushing is 51mm

With how much harder the poly is, I'm not surprised the poly tube is longer than the one for the rubber bushings. I hope you like that Delco kit as much as I did. Hoping I didn't steer you wrong. Pun intended.

So, are you planning to half-n-half the bushings poly/rubber? That's what I did.

And I'll snap a couple fresh pics showing the correct orientation of everything.

OK, Here's some fresh pics of the tension rod bushings. I opened one of my new spare packs for the pics. Here's how the bushings should be installed. Thicker rubber sides outwards, and the washers concave in pushing towards the rubber. Smaller support washers on first and last:
P1090925_zpsassy05ak.jpg

Here's how it should look if you're doing half-n-half with rubber and poly. Poly in the front, rubber in the back:
P1090927_zpsp8kwhitd.jpg

And here's a shot of mine on the car. Best I could do half blind sticking an arm under there. Wildly snapped ten pics and got one that worked out OK:
P1090935_zpsj5f6kxf1.jpg

Thanks so much for the inside tip! Ordered several sets and they were just as you stated!

Thank you Mike for getting the pic uploader fixed :)

I'm about read to restart this thing , but the fuel pump had a different idea. PO had installed the pump without the phenolic spacer and I think it did the diaphragm in. It doesn't seem to suck hard enough to draw the fuel. Still amazed me that the owner drive it here and it made it. Still waiting on new cam spray bar anyway. I was hoping to set floats up with my new float sync tool, but got everything else ready to go- I think. 

Plenty of other stuff to do . Front suspension is about done and brakes are bled . Put the new wire harness boot on. It reminds me of those nature vids of a snake swallowing something huge. 

Drained the diff fluid to change it out to only find that I couldn't budge the fill plug. So now I have an empty diff . I am redoing the bushings on the rear suspension so I guess I will just drop the diff out at the same time

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg