Mark Maras

76 Locking Gas Cap

RedBird is having a bit of trouble with the new system so i'm asking for her. She is in need of a locking gas cap for RB, a 76 280 ASAP. Does anyone know if anything is available cheap and quick? It appears that Stant doesn't make one for the 76. What years are compatible with the 76? Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks

Mark

• Like 1

After being on Stant's website, they evidently don't make one. If they don't I wouldn't know where to go next....

The other option would be to get an older gas lid with the chrome thumb latch. They made keyed locks that also fit the fuel tank door. I know they are findable if not domestically then in Aus or Japan. If you decide to go that route I can help you look...

C

Thanks, I didn't know anyone made a lockable twist knob for the older cap covers. I'll forward that info to Jai (RedBird). I have a spare cover

with the twist knob (wrong color). She may be halfway to a lockable fuel tank already. I'll let you know if she wants to go that route.

The guys with the hoses will just bend/break the lid open.  One other problem with the lockable caps is that they're tall.  They won't fit under the lid.  Probably have to do some body work to make a truly functional lockable cap.

I've spent some time pondering mine.  I've already converted it to leaded fuel only style, so that the nozzle won't fall out when filling, but also thought about gas thieves.  Not many options.  She might get a "diesel fuel only" sticker just to throw off any gas thieves.

2 questions:

1. is she looking for a lockable filler cap or the door?
  2. i may have a cap from my 78 that came w/the car in my pile of parts, will it work on the 76?

31 minutes ago, rossiz said:

2 questions:

2. i may have a cap from my 78 that came w/the car in my pile of parts, will it work on the 76?

The 78 cap won't work on the 76.

A little extra for SteveJ's post - the unleaded filler tubes are smaller than the early leaded gas filler tubes.  78 is unleaded, 76 is leaded.

2 hours ago, rossiz said:

2 questions:

She's looking for any method to lock it.  First idea was a locking gas cap. Seemed cheap and simple but it appears no one makes one for the large diameter filler. Patcon brought up the locking door in post #2. A keyed lock that replaces the old style chrome twist knob is evidently available.

The reason for the lockable gas cap isn't gas theft. Vandalism is the concern. 

Mark,

I had a locking gas cap from a 68-71 BMW 1600 that worked on the 76 280Z I use to have.

Partstrain.com has them for $28.00. The part number is: W0133-1621968.

Not to be a Danny Downer but I wonder if it's vented   Part of fit is function.  Could be why the parts places say it doesn't "fit".

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Mark Maras said:

Thanks SteveJ. I'll pass the info to RedBird. She's still looking for one.

Someone who has actually seen the locking gas cap, such as @Montezuma, should probably chime in first to say whether or not that is the right one.

Excellent. More options. I sent a message to RB. In lieu of a locking cap, she's leaving the cap a bit loose to detect tampering. The logic being, anyone tampering with it would put the cap back on tight. She is also looking at trail cams. 

1 hour ago, siteunseen said:

A motion light mounted to a wooden stob close to the Z, wired into an extension cord?  Or my favorite,

Dog-Bite.jpg

Oh yeah. Great deterrent. Facing a dog (or person) like this you have to ask yourself, how crazy is this SOB. Deanna, RB's dog, is a lover not a fighter. Barking is probably the extreme limit of her guarding abilities.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SteveJ said:

Thank you Steve.  The last one is really too expensive for me.  The 2nd one, I talked to on the phone and we exchanged measurements.  No go, the inside, filler hole size is 2 1/2 inches.  RB'S are 2 3/5 inches.  So no go.  

The first one I have sent the measurements needed, because he states no refund.  That would be the pits, spend $, have locking cap, and lose on both scores.  So we shall see what he says.  Thanks again!

I bought one of those BMW locking gas caps for my 76 Z.  It is the "larger" style for the large filler neck.  It has the BMW logo stamped into it.  

However, it does not seem to lock the cap on.

I mean, the key will work, and actuate the tab, but I am still able to remove it while "locked" pretty easily...

I still use it though, it fits good and looks better than the old cap.  It does not have a spot to attach the "hanging chain" though...

FYI

Not mine, but this is pretty much exactly the cap I have:

BMWcap.jpg

2 hours ago, Stanley said:

I got one too. Ramsesosirus is correct.

I suppose I should clarify that the BMW cap isn't just "pretty easy" to remove when locked, it just unscrews as normally.  So mine is always "locked"...  I spent a decent amount on it too..

Thank god I'm not the only fool who bought that BMW cap. What a scam! Yes, it "locks", yes it "fits", just doesn't lock to the car.... Man.

However, I just pulled it out of it's hidey hole, and grapped a gas filler opening ring to understand how this looks and why it doesn't lock.. I may see a way to modify the ring so these caps actually lock.. Give me a day or two to fiddle....

• Like 2