IGNORED

Hello from across the pond! Searching for a 240z

Woody928

1 hour ago, Woody928 said:

When you say the fenders have been cut, would replacement wings be required to bring it back to stock? I guess this would only work for the front, and a bodyshop would have to rework the rear arches if I wanted to remove the arch flares? Thanks for the post either way :)

That's correct. Feel free to PM me if you want more info although as I understand it may not be exactly what you're looking for.

On ‎2‎-‎6‎-‎2016 at 6:25 PM, jfa.series1 said:

Here's another pence worth: give a bit of reconsideration to holding out for a Series 1.  There will be a far greater number of cars to choose from if you open it up to the Series 2 cars - late 71's and after, i.e. higher yearly production quantities.  The early cars came with the Type A transmission which had some weaknesses.  Also, I've heard there were unibody structure improvements in the later cars.  Others on this forum may be able to comment on that.

Actually a series 2 doesn't exist. That's just what we call it based on the rear sail pillar emblem. But changes went slowly over time during the production. They used up parts laying around from the real early cars on mid to late 71's.

Edited by bartsscooterservice

Your patience will be rewarded.  Just to be clear, when you say series one, what do you mean?  I only ask as I have seen different meanings to that term, and it is a term that Datsun never used itself. It is an owner invented term.  When I hear series 1 Z I think 1970-1972 (maybe 1973).  I don't really think of a series II car but if I did I would say a 260Z is a series II car and a 280Z is a series III car should you be so inclined. But again, that series XX is not something Datsun ever used to denote models. 

So bud, when you say series one, do you mean a 1970 only?

• Like 1

On 6/3/2016 at 9:06 PM, bartsscooterservice said:

Actually a series 2 doesn't exist. That's just what we call it based on the rear sail pillar emblem. But changes went slowly over time during the production. They used up parts laying around from the real early cars on mid to late 71's.

Useful information to have, is there anywhere that details the differences between the earlier and later cars with the revisions made? 

I'm still waiting patiently searching for the correct car, if anyone sees a series one car in 918 orange then please let me know. There's cars appearing in different colours, or series just never the right match for my requirements, I'm definitely going to be following the advice of buying the best I can afford following advice from numerous people, seems to be the best way to start the project and journey :)

21 hours ago, Zedyone_kenobi said:

Your patience will be rewarded.  Just to be clear, when you say series one, what do you mean?  I only ask as I have seen different meanings to that term, and it is a term that Datsun never used itself. It is an owner invented term.  When I hear series 1 Z I think 1970-1972 (maybe 1973).  I don't really think of a series II car but if I did I would say a 260Z is a series II car and a 280Z is a series III car should you be so inclined. But again, that series XX is not something Datsun ever used to denote models. 

So bud, when you say series one, do you mean a 1970 only?

Lets hope so! there's a really clean looking 1970 car in red on ebay at the moment that looks fantastic. Shame its the wrong colour for me though. Good question, unless I'm mistaken and please feel to correct me however I thought series one cars were either 1970 or 71 with the 240z emblem on the  rear pillars? which changed on the later cars to a circle emblem with a Z that was also a side vent? Personally I much prefer the 240z emblem found on the earlier cars and believe that the early cars potentially stand to hold slightly more value longer term. Like Datsun's by the sounds of things, MK2 MR2's have be split into five generations (not by Toyota) by the the community. It all sounds very similar to me in that respect. 

17 hours ago, CanTechZ said:

Here is a discussion about "series 1" unique parts that you might find interesting:

Also try searching "series 1 (or one) differences" or "series 1 vs 2"

Fantastic link, only read a couple of the top posts but just the sort of thread I was after! I'll read more later when I get a chance, and so some searches based on your suggestions 

Also your car looks right up my street from your profile pic :D Got any more pics or info? Always keen to see and hear about more Z's  

17 hours ago, Blue said:

I have VIN 249.   Open to outrageous offers.  I am located at a sea port so shipping should be easy.

vin 249 2.jpg

vin 249.jpg

Wow, that's a seriously low numbers car! Is that in 920 Gold though? 

Looks like someone's spent a lot of time, effort and money getting it into that condition! 

Edited by Woody928

24 minutes ago, Woody928 said:

Also your car looks right up my street from your profile pic :D Got any more pics or info? Always keen to see and hear about more Z's  

Here's a pic from the image gallery taken a number of years ago. It's a  7'70 car and is a bit unique in that it is a Canadian non-emissions model.

Good luck in your search.

Mike