IGNORED

Need a miracle!

Taxelson

GAS GUSHING OUT!

Okay, I have a good battery, checked and have spark at the spark plug, but still wouldn't start.  I took each park plug out to see how they look, and everything was fine until I got to the last plug #6, and gas gushed out, maybe a quart or more!

i do have an aftermarket electric fuel pump in it, and I had been trying to start it the past few days on and off.  

Any deas gang?

thank you

Troy

They don't usually stick open because there's a spring inside that shuts them.  Could still happen but could also be an electrical problem, a short to ground on the ECU side.  Unplug it and check that the terminals in the plug aren't grounded.

The Engine Fuel chapter in the FSM has an excellent description of how things work, with diagrams.

1975 EF.PNG

I suppose a simple test to see if it's electrical or mechanical would be to disconnect the plug for the #6 injector -- if you still get issues after removing electrical power from that injector, then it would be reasonable to assume it's mechanically "stuck open" ... if you no longer have "gushing" gas after disconnecting it, then it's electrical.

Do you have a copy of your factory service manual? The PDF's have been distributed heavily over the years and are widely available online.

Regardless of what you do next, if I were you, I'd be tempted to remove all the plugs, pull the fuse for the fuel pump, and just crank the motor over a few times to make sure there isn't any extra fuel sitting in the cylinders... when I hear "gushing" in the context of fluid coming out of the cylinders, I'm not immediately instilled with confidence. Enough gasoline in there, while trying to crank, and you could do some damage. Fluid sitting in a cylinder could also explain the strained/slow cranking speed. You're going to want to do an oil change after this is over too. 

I'm also chiming in because I see that you're in Minnesota, and I was curious if you were part of the Z-Owners of Minnesota group. I think you said earlier in the thread that you were in Washington County -- I'm in Minneapolis, so I'm probably not super close to you, but there might be some other folks in the group who are closer that might be willing to do a drive by. I know diagnosing 40-year-old EFI can be tricky by yourself if you've never done it before.

It seems the car is testing my resolve.  The starter is cranking over as it should, but I can't get it to start.  I tapped on the injector and the problem seems to be solved. But I still can't get her to start.  Theses 40 year old cars are tricky at times.

Troy

Too much fuel?  No fuel now that you fixed #6?

You had the engine apart.  Have you verified all timing events, cam timing and ignition timing?  No offense, but your trials with the power wire to the fusible link show that you may not be as familiar with how things work as you should be.  I get the impression that you're assuming that you put everything back just like it was so it should start up just like it did.  But you already missed one important wire.  I'd go back and check all of those important things.  Write them down and tell us what they are.  You'll probably find the problem while you're doing that.

I was very careful in my rebuild, although I will admit it was my first, I took considerable time and followed the books.  That being said, I could've missed, or not calculated something.  I'll look through my notes, and pictures.  Needless to say I'm concerned and frustrated.  I appreciate the help.

Troy