IGNORED

Modifying a '70-71 choke knob to fit a '72

sdyck

• 1 year later...
On 5/11/2016 at 4:51 PM, sdyck said:

I bought the one on teh left for the 70-71 from my local Nissan dealer.  the 72-73 (the one I need) is no longer available.  Unfortunatly 240rubber parts only offers teh 70-71 as well.  

I thought about that, but it that part would be more costly to replace than the $10 knob if I mess it up.  I'm going to take a shot at filing/drilling/ dremmeling out the knob and will post my results.

Steve

Steve, Believe I have what you need and you have what I need. PM me on Facebook Kirk Towner 

20170617_203845.jpg

On Saturday, May 14, 2016 at 4:50 PM, nix240z said:

I can reproduce the knob if anyone is in need of the correct one with choke on the handle.

but it wont be only 10$

Steve

If you can do them in billet aluminum with no modifications needed I would be interested as long as the price does not exceed $50.

On Sunday, May 15, 2016 at 11:22 AM, Patcon said:

@sdyck

If you remove the ac system, I may be interested in it although shipping might be kind of steep...

You would be better off buying a modern system if you want A/C. The old one installed by the dealer either needs to be converted to accept R134a or it is probably unserviceable. An upgraded system will come with everything you need for installation. I personally don't like the load on the engine when they are running plus the extra weight I can do without. Even though I live in Florida I can get along without it, I guess it is a part of growing up in the south. Good luck!

I have been in the South my whole life and work out in the heat but I prefer a little bit of cold air when possible. Converting refrigerant is not an issue and the really valuable part of the system to me is the interior portion that piggy backs so well...

8 hours ago, esmit208 said:

You would be better off buying a modern system if you want A/C. The old one installed by the dealer either needs to be converted to accept R134a or it is probably unserviceable. An upgraded system will come with everything you need for installation. I personally don't like the load on the engine when they are running plus the extra weight I can do without. Even though I live in Florida I can get along without it, I guess it is a part of growing up in the south. Good luck!

there are substitutes for r-12 that work just fine, no need to convert to 134a. its on its way out the door anyhow

• 5 months later...

I forgot to mention at the time when this topic first appeared that it seems to my eye that there were two early choke knob designs.  The earliest is the very curvaceous, asymmetric version that Steve (nix240) reproduces so nicely.  The one that the other Steve (sdyck, aka 'Steve from Calgary) had break on his car does not look the same.  Instead, it's kind of halfway between the early-early, no-hard-corners style vs. the quite angular version that showed up in MY-72 and is now the only version that's conveniently available.  Notice too how Steve-from-Calgary's broken item has a head that looks quite symmetric.  All the other versions are visibly asymmetric.

3 choke knob designs in the course of just three years, then?  And then a 4th version added when the 260Z arrived.