IGNORED

Suggestions for MSA

Love, love, love the 6 to 1 header and 2.5" premium exhaust!  

I have a couple of suggestions for the exhaust system though.  Add lock washers with the hardware and put a copy of this in the box;

msa-muffler-angle.jpg

The clamp in your picture shows lock washers but I had to go to a hardware store and buy a handful for the proper installation of the whole system.  I had the muffler leaning towards the gas tank too.

Thank you for an awesome sounding system at a good price but you could add $1 for some lockwashers. :)

I have the system on my 260Z and another awaiting install on my 280Z.  I couldn't get the angle anywhere close to what is pictured.  I tried and tried to get it angled right with no luck.  I tried turning the muffler end for end several times and ended up having the best results with an offset inlet and a center outlet.  When I tried it the other way, the muffler can crashed into the body (might have been the bumper shock?).  It's a race car so I really didn't care, but I'm hoping it fits better on my street Z.  

Also, they changed the kit.  I bought the first kit in 2013 and the second kit in 2015.  The first kit's muffler was a Dynomax and the tip was a really nice, heavy part with a rolled end.  The new kit I got came with a no-name muffler and a cheap chrome tip.  I will probably swap the tips between the race car and street car.

IMG_5688c.jpg

• Like 1

I'll be impressed when they offer a variety of loudness options. I guess I mean quiteness options. Even the idea of just having the option of adding a resonator into their kit. Perhaps its my age (19 ;) ) but I want quiet! Many people around me are asking for the same thing.  

And I've never seen lock washers come with those generic crush muffler clamps. No doubt there are a variety of qualitties available, but these are designed to be simple and cheap. I feel lucky if I get a set with flange nuts. 

Jeff, with a 280 tank and bumper shock mounts, you won't get the fitment so beautifully displayed in MSA's ad. 

• Like 1

I struggled a bit because of the modified floor pan in my race car. The cat/resonator hump is in the way of the race seat so racers have to cut the hump out and box in the hole. That changed the pipe angle a bit up front though I'm not sure if the muffler fitmeny would have changed at all had the floor been stock. I also ground some material off the corner of the R200 diff since it didn't allow the pipe to fit properly without banging. 

So what muffler and tip did you guys get with the kit?

Edited by Jeff G 78

Is the tip slash cut or is it rolled? And was the muffler in a Dynomax box?  My first muffler was stamped Dynomax and was in a marked box. The second came in a plain box and had no brand name stamped in the can. 

Edited by Jeff G 78