IGNORED

Fuel pump mystery

Packerz

This is info I can use! I overlooked relay testing section in FSM and yes, I will get my own continuity/voltage tester for wiring and relay tests.  I do need to learn how to use it and I can find someone to explain and/or show me. Also thank you for advice on desirable DC voltage. Will then try to retest all battery to pump components along power paths (with first attention to main relay and pump relay...they did click with every battery/power connect but need to be fully tested anyway).  I will retest following wiring diagram from FSM and fuel pump circuit diagram.  The ignition switch is the only component that has not gotten any testing to date...and I will remove it from steering column since I can't get to it's pins in place.  Too old for body "twists"  :=).   So the journey begins.   Thank you!  Please wish me success.     Doug

I would go directly to the fuel pump relay.  The ignition switch powers the ignition relay, and it everything else is working then your ignition switch is fine.

Click on your user name, upper right corner of page, and a drop-down menu will open up.

• 1 year later...
17 minutes ago, SteveJ said:

What year 280Z?

I just replied to a PM from utah.  The images on Amazon look almost identical pin-wise, to the Nissan part.  But the web sites all say it's for Volkswagen, and some say it won't work for a 280Z.  https://www.amazon.com/Beck-Arnley-203-0053-Relay/dp/B000CB0DK4

Anybody want to compare pins?

Trying to attach an image but I'm having CZCC web site problems.  This is from Amazon.  It's all that shows, CZCC says it's done loading.  Maybe someone else can get it loaded.

Beck Arnley dual relay.PNG

Edited by Zed Head

The terminal designations are all the same. Nissan licensed the Bosch fuel injection system that was used in VWs, etc.

Fuel Pump Relay Terminals.jpg

The terminals for each half line up, but the wiring diagram shows the halves swapped. The EF section of the FSM shows the correct orientation with several figures starting at EF-54. 

It will most likely work.

1 hour ago, Zed Head said:

I just replied to a PM from utah.  The images on Amazon look almost identical pin-wise, to the Nissan part.  But the web sites all say it's for Volkswagen, and some say it won't work for a 280Z.  https://www.amazon.com/Beck-Arnley-203-0053-Relay/dp/B000CB0DK4

Anybody want to compare pins?

Trying to attach an image but I'm having CZCC web site problems.  This is from Amazon.  It's all that shows, CZCC says it's done loading.  Maybe someone else can get it loaded.

Beck Arnley dual relay.PNG

I copy and pasted these from your link above without any trouble. 

71keokxfHyL._SL1495_.jpg

Edited by siteunseen

It showed up properly when I got back in to CZCC.  It didn't show the whole picture before though.  I'm having some weird issues with the site.  I signed in from a phone just now and I can't figure out how to sign out.  I'm permanently signed in, apparently.  This post is from my computer though, because there's no cut and paste option on Android, as far as I can tell.  The super phones aren't that super.  I had to write in Notepad here while I waited to be able to sign in.  Gotta be the NSA.

On the double relay -

Wouldn't be surprised if those plastic pillars on the side get in the way of the Nissan plugs.  Could be why it won't "work".  Cut them off and it should.  That might be a significant find for future relay seekers.

We've overlooked the basic question we usually ask though - are you sure it's the relay that's the problem?  Might be spending on the wrong part.