IGNORED

HLS30-01121 Gets A New Life

CHL240Z

Redding is a good place to buy relatively rust free cars. It's far inland from the ocean and gets very little snow in the winter. Hot Hot Hot and dry summers. Winters are a bit wet but humidity isn't off the

charts most of the time.   I was in redding in the 70's and there were alot of z's there then. If that car is originally from there, i probably saw it.   Yours looks like it had a windshield leak on the pass side or a leaking

heater core.  How is the firewall?

Thanks for posting up Clay and sharing your progress so far.  I agree with everyone else that the car is very restore-able and in my opinion, despite the rust and previously repaired damage, it is still a great starting point to be at.  A lot of us have started with far worse cars.  Plus, based on the pictures it looks like you have all the correct parts like the early air cleaner, 2400 valve cover, smog pump, console, and ash tray door.  The only thing that is not quite right is your steering wheel since it has holes but that is small fries compared to everything else.

You made a great point in your first post about seeing all of the build threads and being motivated to get #1121 on the road again.  Being the author of two build threads I am always inspired by the work other owners are doing.  As you have probably already read a number of times, the key to staying motivated is break up your restoration in to small projects, plan and research as much as you can before spending money.  As always you will be met with surprises but don't get overwhelmed.  All the owners here are very supportive so ask questions, post pictures, and gather feedback.  Despite thousands of threads on here there are always new questions and new topics to talk about.

Another thing to think about is you have to decide what level of restoration you plan to do.  Since the car has not been on the road in so long and your plan was to drive it on weekends, you may possibly want to get it to a state of being reliable and safe to drive, including the already mentioned structural repairs that are needed.  Overall I think your car presents really well and with some cleaning up will only look better.  A full blown restoration will move your dream of driving the car on weekends out several months to several years depending on your available time to work on the car and your budget.  These are just things to think about as I have been there with several Z's and other classic cars.  I too look forward to your updates, pictures, and questions.  Keep 'em coming, we are all here to help.

• Like 1

Well, I can erase this part but you'll have to do the other.  Sometimes people don't realize how they look on the old interweb and need a nudge.  There are forums that actually have rules about punctuation.

Your post was ironic because you didn't "do it right".

Edited by Zed Head
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, grannyknot said:

I think you have yourself a diamond in the rough there.

I think so too.  I can't wait to get her back on the road but I promised myself that I will also enjoy the journey.

23 hours ago, moelk said:

Keep posting your progress!

I plan on keeping this thread well past completion.

23 hours ago, hr369 said:

How is the firewall?

Needs some work on the passenger side.  Nothing to bad at all tbh.

23 hours ago, sweatybetty said:

strip the car and take it to a sandblaster.

I will be dropping it off at the body shop in the first week of June.  They are going to start with media-blasting and we are going to go from there.

22 hours ago, Hardway said:

The only thing that is not quite right is your steering wheel since it has holes but that is small fries compared to everything else.

I noticed that also with all the research I have done.  I talked to a friend of mine that has a 1970 also and he loves his MOMO.  I was telling him I wished I could find the steering wheel that came on the car which has the indentions rather than the holes.  The next day he was at my house and told me I could have his that had been collecting dust in his closet for about 5 years.  I told him it was kind of a collectors item and paid him a fair price for it (I think).  He was happy and so was I.

23 hours ago, Hardway said:

Another thing to think about is you have to decide what level of restoration you plan to do.

I have been planning it and saving up for it for 3 years.  I plan on restoring this completely with minor modifications. I am in the Navy and am being sent to a C-School from June-September.  I have talked to a shop here in SoCal several times regarding a restoration and my vision for this car.  They understand what I am trying to do and will be doing the work.  I will deliver the car to them the first week in June before heading to VA until September when I will do the final inspection and bring the car home.  There will be several times that I come home and inspect the progress of the car, as well as visit my wife, LOL.  

I am putting a L28 Bore/L24 Stroke +1mm OB with a 260/260, .460/.460 cam in her.  Not to worry I love my history and will be rebuilding the original L24 and crating it and storing it in my garage.

That is just a few of the plans, I could list out the whole build but we will see it together on these pages.  Thank you all for the inspiration and keep the comments coming.  I look forward in giving 1121 a new life.

Clay

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Zed Head said:

I have to point out the irony of somebody who can't bother to use capital letters or end the final sentence with a period, telling someone else "if you're going to do something, do it right".  Too funny to let pass.  Please don't start a word battle in his thread, I won't respond.  It's just really amusing.

gee, thanks. you have a real gift of belittling. sorry if my spelling and grammar are not up to your standards

Edited by sweatybetty
  • Like 1

Good job on the steering wheel and kudos to your friend for offering his up.  I think we all like to see parts go to the right car and the right people.  Your comment on both of you being happy with the deal is best way to go.  Good karma all around!

Ok a little news...I got the engine delivered that is going to end up going in 1121.   Not to worry I will be rebuilding the original engine and storing it for posterity.  I plan on building a L28 Bore / L24 Stroke engine that is listed on page 4 of Frank Honsowetz' book "How to Modify Your Nissan & Datsun OHC Engine".  I also found some great information regarding what I am trying to do in a 2010 post:

On September 16, 2010 at 7:05 PM, Tak510 said:

It's kinda old thread, but I just want to share with you that my z has the L28 short-stroke setup: N42 block + 280ZX flat pistons + L24 crank + L24 rods + N42 head. The compression is 9.5:1 with 1mm thick Felpro head gasket. This can be built with all stock parts and it's very easy. I have been running this setup with a lighten flywheel and triple carbs and I love it!! With .6mm thick metal head gasket MSA carries, a 10.0:1 compression can be had without shaving any metal, but it's a little pricey item..

N42 Block.

IMG_0991.JPG

Oil can is installed differently on this one than my L24.

IMG_0993.JPG

Have to look up this number to see what year it was produced.

IMG_1005.JPG

N42 Head.

IMG_1004.JPG

A second N42 Head

IMG_1006.JPG

Here are a few of the parts that I have received recently:

New seatbelt were a must for my wife to feel safe.

IMG_1010.JPG

Got the new oil cap in that I ordered.  I really like the elephant oil cap.

IMG_1011.JPG

A friend of mine gave me this distributor.  Hope it is good.

IMG_1012.JPG

E12-80? Research required.

IMG_1013.JPG

Stainless steel screw/nut/bolt/washer set for the entire car.

IMG_1014.JPG

Kameari intake maniford.

IMG_1015.JPG

Triple Mikuni 44 PHH

IMG_1016.JPG

Kameari valve cover.

IMG_1018.JPG

Kameari valve cover fit test on L28 engine.

IMG_1019.JPG

I will keep everyone up to date as we continue this journey together.

• Like 1

Oh you got some fun goodies there!  Do yourself favor though, keep everything, don't throw away or sell anything that is original from your car. At some point in the future you may want to go back to original and you won't be able to find the stuff.

I wish I had taken my own advice, now I'm looking for stuff I thought I would never use.

You're going to love those triples.

Thanks...For the most part I am keeping things original.  The items that I am modifying I will be refurbishing the originals and boxing them up for storage.  Once the restoration is complete, I will see what items I can sale.

I think the triples are going to sound very good on the engine I will be building.

Clay