IGNORED

door mirrors

sweatybetty

i have these on mine and they look very nice but the passenger side mirror doesn't really exist (at least not that i could find - anyone else?) so i bought 2 drivers side and flipped one upside down for the passenger side. i'm assuming that's what you're seeing in the pic above. the 2 problems with this are: 1) the mount angle is off, so if you're standing in front of the car you can see the passenger side mirror stalk tilts upwards more than the drivers side - not a huge deal for me but some may find this objectionable

I'm thinking about going with these, which supposedly solves that problem: https://zcardepot.com/exterior/mirrors/mirror-chrome-outside-oe-look-240z-260z-280z.html

Those look great on your car! I love the look! Hey a question, I noticed that you have what look to be chrome protectors on the body of your z ( the bumpers that protect your car from door dings from other cars) I just had mine repainted, and am debating putting these protective strips on. Can I ask where you found them? Is one brand better hhan another? I'd appreciate feedback on this from you, or any member. Thanks much! Your z is lookin good!

K

The lil z lady :) 

Kira, if you decide to go with protective side molding, choose the adhesive type as opposed to the pop riveted mount style (no holes in the body and you can remove them if you ever change your mind).

If you google Body Side Molding, you can find them from suppliers such as Cowlesproducts.com.

• Like 2

On May 8, 2016 at 4:22 PM, KiraK said:

Those look great on your car! I love the look! Hey a question, I noticed that you have what look to be chrome protectors on the body of your z ( the bumpers that protect your car from door dings from other cars) I just had mine repainted, and am debating putting these protective strips on. Can I ask where you found them? Is one brand better hhan another? I'd appreciate feedback on this from you, or any member. Thanks much! Your z is lookin good!

K

The mirrors are on most of the 70 GM cars. I had to make a bottom plate to make the angle fit better on my car.

My bumper protectors and paint are original. I would not put them back on if  I ever have the car re-painted. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

When I had my lime green '72 240z I bought a pair of chrome rectangular Chevelle/Camaro door mirrors.  Think I paid $50 shipped for the pair.  A NOS unit was not in the budget for that car but I never put them on.  In fact, I still have them in the garage.  A member on here or another Z car site had them on his Z and they looked good.  Another option would be GM round chrome mirrors.  Again, they run about $50 - $60/pair on Ebay and other sites.  For the look, cost, and functionality I think they are hard to beat.

s-l500.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Great option and look on both the above Hardway. I like the top pair because they look very similar to the original drivers side mirror, but I love the bottom pair for the clean retro look! 

I have been so obsessed with trying to keep my girl original, that form often trumps function.

Although I did finally add  louvers to protect from the Vegas sun. But I have been reluctant to add anything that would need to be drilled.   ( such as a mirror.)

Having a right hand mirror would be nice, something I especially learned last weekend while driving in LA traffic while there for the z bash :wacko:

So where to draw the line between form over function? I guess that's a matter of taste, and the rigors of maintaining an original 240z. 

Thoughts? 

K

Go for the right hand mirror. A couple of properly treated screw holes is far better than body damage caused by lack of vision. IMO form over function is placing the mirrors out on the front fenders. They look great but field of view is very limited.

On 5/8/2016 at 0:28 PM, black gold man said:

If anybody wants these mirrors 25 bucks shipped.  Like new   http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/131793979209?item=131793979209&lgeo=1&vectorid=229466&rmvSB=true

$_57.JPG?set_id=880000500F

$_57.JPG?set_id=880000500F 

I have these mirrors installed on my 76 Z.  They look great, I also have a set of the "original" metal sport type mirrors.  They are very similar.  

These were easy to mount to the existing location.  I do not believe I drilled any holes or anything.  

HINT:  Mine started getting loose/wobby after a few years.  The mirror to the mount (where you can adjust the mirror), NOT to the car itself.  I was going to superglue the "pivot ball" in place, but decided to remove the mirror first.  On the bottom of the mount, there is a screw that tightens the pivot ball.  I tightened those up on both sides, and it's all solid now.

I also like having 2 mirrors, evens out the look, and visibility.  Only 1 just looks like it's missing the other one.  Mine also had holes already on the passenger side, so I didn't really have a choice!