IGNORED

Tools...

That Ozzy Guy

A Brass Drift is a round piece of brass about 8 inches long, approximately 1/2" to 5/8" diameter. Usually had a knurled area for your grip at one end. It is used to drive the steel races out of and into your brake hubs. The idea is that you place the drift against the race and wack the drift with your hammer. The brass, being softer than the steel of the hammer or the race, will deform and not damage the race if you hit the race off center, or if the drift slips and contacts the bearing surface. If you were to use a piece of steel for this job, you'd likely damage the race.

Definatly get quality tools. Get at least Craftsman. I prefer Kobalt (Lowes) for lower priced tools. They're made by Snap On (from what I can tell they ARE Snap On) but don't have the selection like Craftsman. All my tools are Snap On. They're expensive but if you buy one tool a week it adds up. It's a good habbit to buy at least one tool per month if you can. Ebay is a good place to buy tools for next to nothing.

Instead of a brass drift, you could always buy a set that does it all. Installs seals and races....

Can't forget the obvious Z related tools such as a clutch alignment tool, head bolt tool, cam chain tool, and at least a Uni-Syn...

After you get the obvious hand tools, the air tools are next on the list along with a good compressor as previously stated. Next on the list would be a Mig welder, and perhaps a sandblaster of one type or another.

Engine hoist, engine stand, large bench vise, bench grinder, small drill press.... the list can go on and on....:cross-eye

I think the most important tool is the phone followed by the phone book or a local directory. I normally require both professional repair, shortly followed by large amounts of cash when I play fix it . I always try to get the job done professionally if I can afford it. I only have minimal hand tools and a long list of numbers for repair shops.

my 2c

cheers

steve:classic

I highly recommend buying Snap-On Tools. I believe they are simply the best. That is all I buy. It's a nasty habit once you get into it. Because they are all expensive, I would recommend buying Snap-on sockets, wrenches, and all the other stuff you use on a regular basis. I would especially recommend their flare nut wrenches and hex sockets because they will not strip those nuts if used properly. The other good thing about Snap-On is if you buy off the truck...You can finance the tools. :classic:

LOL LOL LOL LOL

G'Day George,

Every tool suggested previously is a requirement.

Add to the list things like Drill bits, easyouts, punches, hammers of various sizes and head shapes, various screwdrivers Etc.

In fact, every hand tool you could POSSIBLY want.

One of my favorite sayings is,

It Is better to HAVE it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

Rick.

LOL, duct tape might not be the greatest in the garage but on the road it can be a lifesaver along with bailing wire, tiger tape and tire plugs :classic:

Lighting, good lighting. An anvil as well. Line wrenches. Myself I still need an overhead cam valve spring compressor :-)