IGNORED

240z floor panel deadener?

jalexquijano

15 hours ago, George_Zed said:

Thanks George. These sites are excellent. How many yards for the whole car? How many pieces?

• 2 weeks later...

You can still get the old self adhesive backed bitumen based sound deadening which retains that stock look.

You can easily remove the old stuff with a plastic blade and a persuading device such as a rubber hammer and a few choice words of encouragement. This is the best way to inspect the floor pans which if they haven't been done yet, probably worth the look. You will however need to clean them well, spray on a etch primer then lay the panel sound deadener down again. For that stock look, prime again and then top coat it. Then put some more modern underlay down prior to carpet.

Have a look in my gallery for what I did to mine.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I read the following regarding the original jute:

"the brown jute padding that Datsun used holds water like a sponge. No wonder so many Z floors have completely rusted through. I think this probably the worst Z problem. Everyone blames road salt for rusted floorboards, but this does it faster. What makes it worse it that it’s preventable. #@!&%! I have to dry my floor out every time it rains!"

Is there any other more modern option than jute for my 1972 240z? I am looking for something that will absorb moisture, serve as sound barrier and heat but will avoid the new floors from getting rusted. Any other recommendation for this type of product and reputable seller?