IGNORED

1970 Z for sale

GeoJoe1

Holy grail of early S30z's, a 1969 manufactured S30z. Originally 920 Gold too!

Note the engine serial number stamping, I've seen that before on an early 240z.

I originally questioned the kerning as I'd never seen it before, but it appears to be unique to the first manufactured cars before it was changed in 1970 as production ramped up.

http://bringatrailer.com/2013/11/21/bat-exclusive-the-18th-earliest-surviving-datsun-240z/

If it was already in the states the title issues could be handled through a title company provided it doesn't come back stolen. Being out of the states I don't know how you would import it if there is a title discrepancy. Maybe store it north of the border (@Blue house) until the title is made good...

What kind of dollars are you looking for, give us a starting point.

Do you have a title???

Edited by Patcon

In Canada there really is no such thing as a title. All you need is a valid bill of sale with the proper SN. I would think that getting new door, dash and engine bay plates that agree with the firewall SN would be good enough for any province registration.

Edited by 240dkw
Add more info

I'm seeing things on the interweb that suggest that even though the documents may not be called "Titles", there are still official documents with the VIN on them in Canada, province-generated, just like the state-generated Certificates of Title that we have here.  The owner may not hold them, but the government has registration records.  So I guess the question would be "what is the VIN on the official documents?"  Is that about right?  Or which VIN do you own?

As I said if you have a bill of sale that agrees with the VIN then all is good. I registered my car four years after I bought it from a seller that owned it for about two year without ever registering it and all I needed was the bill of sale from the PO, there was no government documents showing that he had ever owned it as he had never registered it. If the Vin does not get flagged as a stolen or wrecked car then there is no problem. 

Maybe we're in the similar words zone here.  In the states I can take a napkin and write "sold to john doe for $400 one 240Z", put a date and signature on it and that is a Bill of Sale.  Or maybe it's the same there.

I wrote up a bunch of words but it really boils down tot his question -  How would a person prove ownership of a car?  There must be government documentation somewhere.  Which of the Two VINs in question is on that official documentation?

Good info. The mismatched vin tags will be an issue for purists but not a registration issue in Canada.

Firstly, thanks to GeoJoe1 for coming to this forum for feedback and potential buyers. Even with all the controversy on the VIN, this is a car worthy of restoration. The value will take a hit for not being a true survivor with original metal etc, but when complete will still command a premium. @GeoJoe1, hopefully you are looking at a realistic value on the shell and parts. Maybe post an idea of where you are hoping to start negotiations and that should warrant you more serious interest. I am hoping this goes to a good home where it will be properly restored. Best of luck to both buyer and seller!!

On 3/7/2016 at 9:51 AM, GeoJoe1 said:

Any reasonable offer... I want to sell it no later that May.

To get offers from long distance buyers you need more pictures, preferably close ups of the floor repair areas and the floor overall and the rockers, frame rail sides and under frame rails. Quarter panel dog legs,  wheelwells and closeups of the batery tray area.

Pictures of the parts that go with the car too. 

Edited by hr369
  • Like 1