IGNORED

WTB: Hitachi Radio

Gav240z

4 hours ago, hr369 said:

It sold for $1076.00  with only 2 bids. I thought for sure such a rare item would have sold for at least $1500

I tried to bid but was too low, all bids went in, at the last 5 seconds. In fairness I would have bid higher but a few other expenses at the minute. I also noticed a small but maybe important detail the 1 on eBay was listed as: TM-1081ZB(S)

But the ones I have out of AU market cars are: TM-1081ZA(S)

I'm not sure what difference this makes?

Hi ,

I am outside now, let me see what I have. ZA has a red operating light , probably ZB has a green light I guess from reading the owner's manual.

My 4 cars have 4 different audio system, it is fun to look at each other.

Talk you soon.

Kats

• Like 1

Oh and one thing, Fairlady -Z parts catalog does not describe audio system at all (at least 1969, 1970, 1974 issued) I can not believe it, how did sales men / maintenance mechanics control the audio system parts for their customers? Amazing .

Kats

1 hour ago, kats said:

Hi ,

I am outside now, let me see what I have. ZA has a red operating light , probably ZB has a green light I guess from reading the owner's manual.

My 4 cars have 4 different audio system, it is fun to look at each other.

Talk you soon.

Kats

Hi Kats,

Thanks for the reply, actually I have 2 ZB radio's and both appear to have the green operating light. The top 2 are TM-1081ZB(S)

IMG_20151008_193807.jpg

IMG_20141129_220913.jpg

However George in Australia restoring HS30 00019 has ZA and it appears to have a green light also.

It's possible he made a mistake though...

This 1 on eBay was listed as ZA and has a red light.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Datsun-Nissan-240z-Am-buscar-scan-de-radio-70-71-impresionante-condicion-Oem-260z-280z-/291536381091

s-l1600.jpg

For the Record the Australian parts manual only lists a single part no. for an automatic tuning unit, it also lists the non-automatic tuning unit part no. I'll see if I can find it in the parts manual. Unfortunately it doesn't have the Hitachi code, rather the Nissan Part No.'s

Pulled this off of a 70 owners manual. This mentions the red light so its an A model.

Got any  B model manuals to compare it to?

Saw this manual on ebay a few years ago so there's one out there for the B

70-radio-owners-manual.jpg

signal-seek-manual.JPG

Edited by hr369
  • Like 1

I do have the service manual for the ZB

http://www.viczcar.com/forum/topic/14572-hitachi-tm-1081zb-service-repair-manual/

You can see it mentions a green light. I'd certainly find it odd that the only difference is a red or green light. Not sure why they would have used a red light and it makes me wonder if it was an early car difference or not?

Screen Shot 2016-03-09 at 11.51.43 PM.png

• 5 months later...

Ran across this manual the other day. Strange, you guys must have gotten the older radio's. They just put a later model label on them perhaps. Your ZB's have a green light and our ZA's have a green light. 

Original OEM Series One (1969-70) Datsun 240Z Hitatchi AM Signal Seeking Radio from my own early 1970 240Z.  This factory radio was removed a few months after delivery in the summer of 1970 and placed in safe storage since.  I had kept it all these years in case I decided to put it back in the 240Z, which after 46 years now I realize I never will.  The radio is intact, faceplate, knobs and buttons are in excellent condition, even the original antenna switch is present!  Even the original spare fuse is still in it's plastic envelope!  It has not been fully bench tested but does power up. AS A BONUS, I will include the original Hitachi instruction booklet that was sold with the car.  Try to find one of these today!

TM-1081ZA.jpg

TM-1081ZA-2.jpg.jpg

TM-1081ZA-3.jpg

TM-1081ZA6.jpg

Edited by hr369

Yes I was watching that auction too, thought it was interesting it was the A model and had the green light. Of course things could be changed but I've found no info on the A vs B and if it was an early 240z or later 240z thing...That manual is quite rare, the B version is orange in colour.