IGNORED

240z Jack points

87mj

1 hour ago, Carl Beck said:

Thin sheet metal does not equal “weak”. It equals “lightweight” if anything. The 240Z body doesn’t flex because of thin metal.

Uni-body flex is more a matter of the exact design of the structural components, the specific grade of steel used and how well it is all welded together. There is a good reason  Race Cars are “seam welded” for example.

Agreed that rust damage to structural components can weaken the uni-body.

I absolutely agree with you Carl.  But in the 240z case, how about "Thin, weak and of poor quality".  :) 

It's why I had made (and sell) single point jack plates. I can go to an autocross event and change one side at a time. The plates weld to the rocker lip and floor about mid point of the door. Of course if your rockers and/or floors are rusted jacking them with a plate is no different than jacking them from the rocker lip. I too have experienced the joy and sound of a jack going through a Z. Not pretty...

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, gnosez said:

It's why I had made (and sell) single point jack plates. I can go to an autocross event and change one side at a time. The plates weld to the rocker lip and floor about mid point of the door. Of course if your rockers and/or floors are rusted jacking them with a plate is no different than jacking them from the rocker lip. I too have experienced the joy and sound of a jack going through a Z. Not pretty...

Do you have any photos of it installed to a 240Z? I tried searching for photos and feedback but can't find any. I'm thinking of putting a set in one of my zed.

Edited by 240Ziggy

Thanks for the photos gnosez. But do you have a photo of it in full side view? Is this bracket mounted in the middle of the lower rocker panel and is it visible when looking at it from a side view? Sorry if i'm asking for to much details. Thanks again.