IGNORED

C.L. Parting out a 71

Mark Maras

Gonna go look at it today. So many things to consider. The largest hurdle is behind me, I think. My wife, Kathy, is now convinced all thing$ Z related are a good inve$tment. Pretty much a 180` change. Last year she was a "Datsun widow". The diZea$e is contagious.

I didn't know the sill plates with the logo were hard to find. A quick E-Bay search turned up none. What is a pair of those in fair condition worth these days? I just bought an EXTRA pair for $10.00 in a bundle deal. I think I did good.

Now, A very hypothetical question. Let's say a person bought a 71 chassis with no title and that same person had a 71 with a title. Hypothetically, how difficult would it be to "adjust" the untitled chassis to "conform" to the title already in possession? Hypothetically, the original ID tags could go with the title. Just sittin and a thinkin.

Charley Browns' Christmas Z will have a home.

HLS30 39360 originally an automatic trans, now a rolling chassis. Rust damage; rear hatch sill plate and supporting body, floors, spare tire well is not rusted thru judging by the pond in it. frame rails,  Missing items; console, heater core, rear plastic panels, trans., tail lights, right fender & head light & trans. Hatch was opened with an axe. I have a spare.

He has a 2.8 that came out of it (E88 on a N42) and the orig. 4 screw round tops with E41 manifold and balance tube. The owner is selling these separately if anyone is interested. The body sheet metal is in pretty good shape as is the glass. Vert. defroster.

The car has no title and at first he didn't want to talk about anything except parts and they had to pull them for me. :( Said the car could not be sold whole. I made a list of parts that I might want, and we determined that per E-Bay prices we were looking at around $1,000.00. He knew that was out of the question and his chances of moving the small parts were slim. He said it was too bad I didn't have a dismantler's license so he could sell me the whole car. I asked if he could do it if he was sure the car was dismantled by me? THEN, he asks would I might be interested in it if he took the vin #s off it. Evidently, as long as he's sure the car will never be titled again, he can stretch the rules and sell it to me. He offered it to me for $500.00. SOLD

I'm making arrangements to bring it home before New Years. I'll be cleaning it out and assessing the parts and body and their usability.

I really don't know what I'm going to do with it yet. The body really is not much worse than the 260 I'm working on now. And there is still that hypothetical question, posed above, rolling thru my mind. I'm open to opinions.

• Like 2

Ok, returning to reality now. The voices have stopped.(for now). Skip the hypothetical question. It looks like this Z is destined to be a donor. Even the good sheet metal. The thought of cutting one up for any other reason than repairing it, leaves me kind of depressed, but I don't need another project right now. There are two more in the wings after the 260. Family cars; 81 RX7-body&paint & 70 MGB-everything.

I'll be removing all remaining parts from the body & offering everything that I don't need to club members first. I'd like suggestions what sheet metal to save and most important where to cut it?  I don't have space to store the body but I could find room for the roof, q. panels, rockers, etc. I guess what I'm asking is, is there a proper way to disassemble a Z body? The thought of finding and cutting all the spot-welds to take it apart is a bit overwhelming. Thanks

Wheee!

The 280z radiator support is different from the 240z radiator support

Mark,

It is a very gray area when you start looking at transferring vin's. Be careful, not saying you can't do it but most DMV's frown heavily on it. That being said if it's done well I don't know how they would know. the firewall VIN would be the hardest part. Never done it but have considered it. I don't want to defraud anyone but sometimes it is easier to save a car by starting with a better shell. 

Patcon

Those were my thoughts too. I think it could easily be done and actually end up with one good car in the process. All the stars are aligned to do it. Have orig. early 71 with title & rusted out body. Now have late 71 rolling chassis, no title. I almost want to do it just to see if it's possible but I'm not going to do it.  

What could have been. SIGH

Wheee!

The 280z radiator support is different from the 240z radiator support

Please elaborate! I am not concerned about the horn mounts and I can fab new rad support tabs. It is the crossmember that is dented badly on mine...

post-29917-0-30482000-1450842396_thumb.j