IGNORED

Ken's 280z Resto Thread

ksechler

All:

Thanks for the comments.  I managed to shoot two coats of etching primer last night after work.  This will help with flaw detection before switching to a high build primer.  

I also picked my engine up from Eiji last Saturday.  Freaking awesome!  

photo.JPG

• Like 1

On March 21, 2016 at 11:58 AM, ksechler said:

Here are a couple of pictures of my motor.  It is a Datsun Spirit STR stage III.  

I can't wait to get this project done.

027_zpsdisecdmd.jpg

029_zpsrppifa1z.jpg

Eiji does such great motors. I don't know why anyone would go anywhere else for their engine builds.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

It's  been awhile since I've posted any pictures.  Mostly because I've been doing a lot of blocking which is labor intensive but doesn't necessarily show much in terms of progress.  

I started painting for real this weekend.  i can honestly say that I did a terrible job and the finish as it is will never be seen in public.  This might sound negative, but not necessarily.  I learned a lot.  I want to share some of the problems I ran into so I can get some advice.  

The paint manufacturer data sheet says to put 2-3 coats on.  Um, yeah right.  I can still see the primer and the finish looks uneven because the coverage is insufficient. Is the manufacturer being a little optimistic?  I'm thinking 3 coats minimum maybe 4.  I am spraying yellow single stage Urethane over the manufacturer recommended grey primer.  Is this normal?  

I am experiencing, poor atomization and bad orange peel.  What is my gun telling me?  Do I need more pressure?  I'm at 25 psi at the gun.  I have mixed the paint exactly as recommended and am in the right temperature range. I don't think that the paint is too thick. I am also using the recommended tip (I think it's 1.3mm).  I have adjusted the spray pattern to give me ~4" fan at 8" from the paint surface.

Today I started sanding the orange peel and 2 or 3 runs I had out with 400 grit on a block.  I go about 2/3 of the way done.  I still have plenty of color and I'm actually optimistic about round 2.  I'll probably try again late in the week.  

DSCN0940.JPGDSCN0941.JPGDSCN0942.JPG

22 hours ago, sweatybetty said:

post your question here  http://www.autobody101.com/forums/   and do a bunch of reading. there are a bunch of great guys there and more info than you will ever need

Thanks, looks like a good site.  I started through the FAQ's.  I also spent two more hours wet sanding.  I have a good place to start when I figure this out. I'm almost there.  The orange peel is the worst problem.  The rest I can deal with.  Frustrating at times....