IGNORED

Ken's 280z Resto Thread

ksechler

Good progress. Are you gonna shoot another coat of primer before finish paint?

Yes, several.  The body work is far from finished.  I've done the "gross" filling.  I still have a lot of detail work to do.  Too many imperfections to list.  The goal in this phase was to get everything about right and under an etching primer.  I have a grey high build primer that will go on before the color coat.  I'm sure there are still some low spots and a lot of scratches and other minor blemishes to fix.  I'm not completely satisfied with the panel alignment either.  I can live without a perfect 5mm gap, but some panels are still higher or lower than their neighbors.  That I want to fix.  

I'll tell you all this sanding is breaking my back.  I woke up this morning and my left hip is sore as hell because I spent too long sitting on the floor working on the flares.  

I've made a couple of milestones, though.  No more rust repairs - they're done.  No more paint stripping - it's done.  Finishing the flares is the next goal and then perfecting the front valence and bumper fit. After that I don't know.  I might jam it out at that point.  The motor's being built so I'm trying to get a home ready for it.  Still so much to do...

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I'm still woking on the fender flares.  I have to admit the holidays and a bit of car apathy slowed me down some.  I have fiberglassed the front flares and am doing the final bit of blending.  I'm struggling a little getting a good line where the flare meets the body.  If anyone can suggest some good techniques I'd be grateful.  I want a good consistent radius both where the flare meets the body and around the wheel that is free of high and low spots, but I haven't found a good blocking method yet.  I don't like my round durablock very much and because it rigid it can't create a consistent radius on a round flare.  

DSCN0847.thumb.JPG.b697e39543edfbe712e24DSCN0848.thumb.JPG.e965e388626b0e9c02e53DSCN0849.thumb.JPG.ad9dd8ec1b7d113fb253aDSCN0850.thumb.JPG.7ca4dee35524b9cf4a14fDSCN0851.thumb.JPG.01e885b1843dca216d9cbDSCN0852.thumb.JPG.260e923cb3e4e483a42ccDSCN0853.thumb.JPG.a3689c54cba220d98eb99DSCN0854.thumb.JPG.325a28a0aba5b9029c721

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I've been away for a little while...well I've still been lurking.

I'm making progress on the fender flares.  A lot of filling sanding, filling, sanding, etc.  I think I finally have the shape about how I want it.  There's still some detail work but this was more or less what I was after...

DSCN0860.thumb.JPG.009eb774bcff63c9fe0beDSCN0861.thumb.JPG.df9b6462faf8574ac39e1