Consigli

OFFICIAL 280Z "Fuel Damper" thread!

It didn't start out that way. During the summer there were gas fumes in the garage but no puddle. Any drips would quickly evaporate in the 110 F Phoenix heat. Once it cooled off here I noticed the small puddles. I traced it and you could see the gasoline fizzing out around the dampner adjustment bolt. So I'm sure there was a total loss of pressure between the dampner & engine. 

If is was fizzing out around the adjustment bolt, then the diaphram was ruptured or perished to a point where it started leaking. Would have been interesting to cut it open to see if the rupture was fuel or age related. Could be an early sign of things to come with all these new fuel mixes.

10 minutes ago, EuroDat said:

If is was fizzing out around the adjustment bolt, then the diaphram was ruptured or perished to a point where it started leaking. Would have been interesting to cut it open to see if the rupture was fuel or age related. Could be an early sign of things to come with all these new fuel mixes.

The old dampner was the original one so after almost 40 years its time was up. But I did order a spare Bosch dampner in case it has something to do with the new fuel mixes like you say. On a side note, I had my wheels balanced on a top of the line Hunter Road force balancer today at the Lexus dealership. (They did my 280Z as a favor since we have a LS460) The nasty vibration I was getting above 70 MPH is all gone. I took it up to 95 MPH and it ran straight and silky smooth. Its like a new car! 

• Like 1

I strongly believe in the "road forcing" of the wheels/tires for our Z's. I have to have mine done whenever I get new tires. It costs more but is well worth it.

My damper, both of them, leaked from the exact same place. I think its pretty good it lasted this long though.

Update

I bypassed my fuel damper today. Just wrapped a section of injection hose around the top side of it for now. I have put about 50 miles on it and also just let it idle for about 15 minutes and I have no line vibrations or anything else for that matter. I do have the Delphi FD0035 aftermarket fuel pump which has been on there for about 16 years. So far no issues. Unlike Consigli, my line pressure still bleeds off. That'll be next.

• Like 1

Hi all:

Bringing this one back from the dead for an update because I'm going through the back-half of my fuel system; cleaning and de-rusting the tank, new fuel pump, lines and damper.  After searching for OEM unsuccessfully, I ordered this:

https://zcarsource.com/fuel-damper-280z-280zx-75-83-new

But after getting it the other day, I realize it won't work without making a custom mounting bracket.  And I'm concerned about its relatively small size when compared to OEM.  Perhaps it doesn't matter.  But I'd rather find something that mounts like stock.  I've searched repeatedly for the Bosch 0280161024 one referenced in this thread.  But I think they're NLA as well.  I did find one website that listed them, and placed my order last night.  But I halfway expect to get an email from them saying "sorry, out of stock".

https://thmotorsports.com/3304076-bosch-0280161024

We'll see.

EDIT: They cancelled my order.  The part is NLA.

While I'm waiting, how are the "damperless" cars running after a couple of years?  Any issues?

Any other options for the damper?  I've searched using more generic terms, but not found anything in stock that mimics the morphology of the OEM damper.  Thanks in advance.

Edited by the_tool_man
    Updated with order cancellation info.

I don't recall exactly when I removed my leaky damper, maybe 3 years ago? Anyway, no issue's here but then again besides it being an "anti-vibration" device what else is it there for. I don't recall.

I can see the pointer in my fuel pressure gauge bouncing ever so slightly.

Update:

After much searching, I ordered this one from eEuroParts:

20180923_190828.jpg

Somewhat disappointingly, it took them a week to ship it, and another four days in transit. But it fits perfectly.  As you can see from the part number stamped on it, it's the same BMW part Consigli found two years ago (280161024).  It just wasn't listed under the same part number.  Maybe that's why they hadn't sold out yet.

20180923_185026.jpg

20180923_185348.jpg

20180923_185448.jpg

20180923_185456.jpg

Just sharing in case it helps someone else.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Classic Zcar Club mobile

Edited by the_tool_man
    Updated OEM part number
    • Like 4

Thanks for doing the research, switched to a new fuel pump on my 77 but pressure drops to zero 1 hr after shutting the engine off. Checked my old pump, cleaned it up and all seems fine. Thinking I will re-install with the damper you found. Cool!

Sent from my iPhone using Classic Zcar Club mobile

1 hour ago, Obie 280Z said:

pressure drops to zero 1 hr after shutting the engine off. 

Pretty common for that to be caused by the FPR.

Zed Head, is the damper you’re referring to a direct fit replacement. I.m replacing the pump with OEM parts. Mine was frozen from rust in the tank. I would assume the damper is defective also. 

I referred to a bunch of them.  Not sure which you're talking about, but most will require some finessing to get in.  Even Nissan built a custom bent line to mount their stuff.  Study those fuel lines and you won't feel bad about adding a few more bends.  They're just well-done backyard mechanic bends.

I've not heard of them clogging.  I think it's just a diaphragm that flexes with pressure pulses.  The easy check is to remove it and see if it flows.  You'll probably want to replace the hoses anyway, they're old and on the high pressure side.

Posted (edited)
    On 9/23/2018 at 7:19 PM, the_tool_man said:

Update:

After much searching, I ordered this one from eEuroParts:

20180923_190828.jpg

Somewhat disappointingly, it took them a week to ship it, and another four days in transit. But it fits perfectly.  As you can see from the part number stamped on it, it's the same BMW part Consigli found two years ago (280161024).  It just wasn't listed under the same part number.  Maybe that's why they hadn't sold out yet.

20180923_185026.jpg

20180923_185348.jpg

20180923_185448.jpg

20180923_185456.jpg

Just sharing in case it helps someone else.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Classic Zcar Club mobile

the_tool_man Did this work for you? I found some available and would rather install this style than the one sold by Z Car Source

Edited by UrbexExplorer
    added name

25 minutes ago, UrbexExplorer said:

the_tool_man Did this work for you? I found some available and would rather install this style than the one sold by Z Car Source

It physically fits.  But I haven't finished with the fuel system rebuild and other stuff to get the car started.  So I haven't driven the car with the damper installed as of now.  Honestly, of all the things that could go wrong with my work, this is the one I'm concerned about the least.  This is a simple part that is physically identical to the original one.  Unless I happened to get a defective one, I'm pretty certain it will work.

21 hours ago, the_tool_man said:

It physically fits.  But I haven't finished with the fuel system rebuild and other stuff to get the car started.  So I haven't driven the car with the damper installed as of now.  Honestly, of all the things that could go wrong with my work, this is the one I'm concerned about the least.  This is a simple part that is physically identical to the original one.  Unless I happened to get a defective one, I'm pretty certain it will work.

Ha ha ok, I ordered one. I'll let you know what I find out :cool:

On 7/29/2020 at 12:45 PM, UrbexExplorer said:

Ha ha ok, I ordered one. I'll let you know what I find out :cool:

I just finished the installation and the good news, it works like a dream. I ordered mine from OEM BMW parts on Amazon.com. The BMW part# 16 12 1 178 035 & cost $83. Well worth it.:beer: