IGNORED

sweatys rebuild

sweatybetty

3 hours ago, charliekwin said:

Nice work!  I'm so jealous of you guys with big garages :)

thank you! my shop isnt really that big. the draped off portion is only 16x32. behind the plastic is another 8x32. i hope to build a new pole barn in the next couple of years. if i can, it'll be 60x40

Orange peel is another challenge for the DIY painter. We don't normally have the equipment or experience to avoid it. You can run a little more pressure so it atomizes better but you use more material when you do. We also don't tend to have professional level guns that lay down a better finish. The best thing to do is  lay down an extra coat or two of clear and wet sand it out.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Patcon said:

Orange peel is another challenge for the DIY painter. We don't normally have the equipment or experience to avoid it. You can run a little more pressure so it atomizes better but you use more material when you do. We also don't tend to have professional level guns that lay down a better finish. The best thing to do is  lay down an extra coat or two of clear and wet sand it out.

the tech sheet called for 2 coats. thats why i put on 3 ;)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

yesterday i started to repaint the brake booster and found that it had a leak. so a tear-down of that and some new paint and good as new! the hardest part was getting it opened up. once that was done, a couple of cans of brake cleaner, some sand blasting time, and everything looked like new

100_1559.JPG

here is the rubber diaphragm the leak was between it and the black "piston"

100_1560.JPG

a little black silicone sealer and the leak is fixed

100_1564.JPG

all back together and fresh paint. i also added a vacuum check valve, this way i can eliminate the in-line factory valve. it is kind of hard to see, but it is on the lower right where the hose fitting was

100_1568.JPG

Edited by sweatybetty
  • Like 1

Did you check vacuum on the booster after rebuilding it? Many times the leaks is in the fold at the bottom of the booster. It is caused by brake fluid leaking into the booster from the master cylinder and degrading the rubber. Also were the seals around the center pushrods good. I have attempted similar fixes with mixed results. I found reassembly easier if you apply pressure to both halves, like in a vise or press before trying to rotated the upper half