IGNORED

Reproducing HeadLight Covers input needed from the community

Metalman5151

If you could point exactly where to measure i can gladly do that for you, kind a hard where to start measuring the rings. I figured out how to attach pictures so hope these photos can help you. I can mail you the templates just pm or email it. Any comments just let me know. Thanks.

post-28514-0-59421000-1441543400_thumb.j

post-28514-0-52437200-1441543429_thumb.j

post-28514-0-03512400-1441543447_thumb.j

post-28514-0-59028500-1441543481_thumb.j

post-28514-0-24459900-1441543558_thumb.j

post-28514-0-74316700-1441543569_thumb.j

post-28514-0-56285600-1441543599_thumb.j

post-28514-0-62590600-1441543611_thumb.j

post-28514-0-14540000-1441543646_thumb.j

post-28514-0-64935000-1441543673_thumb.j

I don't have any contacts in Japan and I've yet to see a complete set on Ebay. I also don't know anyone with a set and even if I did, with the rarity/value of them would not feel comfortable borrowing them. If I can get the measurements and someone traces their rings and lenses (so I can get the location of the mounting holes) I can make something that is very similar.

OK but I was talking about getting the actual headlight (scoop) housings and making your headlight covers to fit them. 

Could you help me out with the width and depth measurements? I've read a lot of your posts and if I remember correctly at one time you were looking into making them. Those 2 measurements would be very helpful.

First of all, it's really hard to measure these things as there's not really any good datum point to work from. Secondly - in my experience, having had a lot of the OEM headlamp cover sets pass through my hands - there's some noticeable variation in size and shape from piece to piece. They can sometimes need some fettling to get them to fit better, and it's the fixings that pull them somewhat into shape. Rather than taking measurements from the trim rings themselves you might be better working from the shape of the headlamp housing that they need to fit...

So I just don't see how you can replicate them accurately without having a set of originals in your hands as reference. And that's reference to nebulous values like 'feel' as much as any size measurement. To be honest, the originals were somewhat variable in quality and even the best examples were fairly crude (although I forgive them that) so this may be an indication of how much time it takes to get them up to an acceptable standard.

You know that the original trim rings were made in two pieces and then welded together, right?  The shape of the 'U' channel in cross-section is also subtly asymmetric because it overlaps the clear plastic on the outside but not the inside, and I reckon that's tough to achieve without making dies to form the channel (meaning four dies and two welding jigs) which is how the originals were made. If you make them so that they sit fully on the plastic (instead of overlapping on the outside edge) then they won't look or work like the originals. 

I think it would be a bit pointless to invest time and money in such a project unless you could replicate the exact look and feel of the originals (warts and all). That's what people want I think.

Thanks for your response. Perhaps I think too much. I'm aware of the various shortcomings of the originals from the various post s in forums over the years. I thought that by locating the mounting holes in the aproximate original locations it would appeal to the owners of the originals who perhaps needed a lens or would be interested in something which they didn't have to drill more holes. I've never intended to make exact reproductions. I have only wanted to capture the look and feel of the originals 

The variability has been a concern. I have thought about the fact that there may be some variability between housings I have a '71 with fiberglass housings and a '73 with steel housings. I have made my hammerforms using both and I have notice some subtle differences. 

I understand the concerns you have brought up but please understand that I'm not some kid who woke up Saturday morning and decided that I wanted to make some headlight covers. Yes I know they are 2 pieces then welded. I'm making hammerforms which will allow me to form the rings. A hammer form is basically 1/2 of a die set. A form that you hammer over to get the shape you want.  Google it if you are not familiar with it but for low volume work they are a simple elegant solution. I wanted the dimensions so I could finalize the forms by having them trimmed to width on a laser jet.

That's been my goal; to try and replicate the look of the originals. I know they won't be exact but they will be true to the "spirit" of the originals and will look like the originals. Will they be exact copies? Of course not but they will look like them and I think that's what a lot of people including myself want, is that "look".  Will I succeed? Only time will tell I guess.  Thanks again for your response. :)

Edited by Metalman5151

Metalman,

I would like to weigh in and say I hope you succeed with this.  I think there are quite a few of us that drive our cars and accept that due to past work they will never be "exactly" original.  I would love to have an option other than the (in my opinion) cheep looking headlight covers with rubber trim.  Good luck!

Cheers,

Scot

Thanks for the kind words everyone. Work continues on the covers and rings. Currently waiting on my buddy to trim up my forms on his laser jet. Also doing a little more work on the molds for the covers. Perfecting the surface and strengthening the molds themselves to handle the rigors of "production" Hopefully within a couple of weeks I'll have some prototypes done and I'd like to be able to begin producing the first 10 or so sets by the beginning of October.

One thing some of you may find interesting. I plan to sell every set with 2 sets of covers. That way you'll have a spare set always available. Stay tuned. :)