IGNORED

Redwing's Car - An Update

SteveJ

Here is how it happened:

I filled up last Saturday. I had driven 5 miles there, and 5 miles home.

Sunday drove to church, 6 miles round trip.

Then to town, another 10 miles round trip.. So far 21 miles + -- after filling up.

Then Tuesday morning was the white smoke incident. Drove only to the mailbox smoking, 1/4 mi away. 1/2 total.

..Tuesday afternoon drove back to town, purring motor, no incidents. 10 miles

..Wednesday drove to town purring, no incidents. 5 miles

..Wednesday later, did not start good, missing and struggling to stay alive, she quit. Had to get her towed back. 0 miles.

So approximately from last Saturday thru last Wednesday, I drove her 36.5 miles after filling up. The 2 incidents happened during that time. After, as of now, she is starting great, no problems. But I have not taken her out.

Thank you,

Jai

The incident of the large amount of smoke happened once. It was a lot, and did not seem to disapate quickly. It came out and filled the carport from the ground up to about the height of RB, only behind RB. As I recall, it was not transparent.

Should it happen again, I will get a video with my cell phone. I was so surprised that I did not think to do that then.

Yes, it was in the early morning, I had not driven her. She was cold.

Jai

Jai

Do you remember the smell or the feel of the smoke? Coolant being somewhat sweet and humid, oil being, well, oily & greasy smelling & feeling. Generally, a coolant cloud dissipates a lot faster than oil depending on the relative humidity & if the car is in a closed space.

I was leaning toward water in the fuel but anytime I've experienced it, It only took a mile or two before it crapped out. 

Was the soot that came out of the tailpipe oily? Judging from the pics, it wasn't.  

On Wed. when the car was towed, was it parked uphill, downhill, level when it wouldn't start? 

I have a question that maybe I should know, but do not. If you have a container of gas and water, how does it manifest in the the container? Mixed? Water on top? Gas on top?

I am wondering if perhaps the gas I pumped had water in it, would the water settle to the bottom after overnight resting, then be the first out of the tank and cause the white smoke?

This is all under the supposition that water would be on the bottom, and even then it might be a real fictional happening.

I might be showing my ignorance, I have no idea if this is possible at all. But maybe??? The reason I am asking is I have, for reasons unknown except "that little feeling", avoided purchasing gas at that particular gas station. I think this is the first time buying there, and only because it was the closest station to get 100% gas.

Now....you can clock me up as being a total looney. Just wanted to share this info, maybe some of you pay attention to those feelings too.

Jai

Jai

Do you remember the smell or the feel of the smoke? Coolant being somewhat sweet and humid, oil being, well, oily & greasy smelling & feeling. Generally, a coolant cloud dissipates a lot faster than oil depending on the relative humidity & if the car is in a closed space.

I was leaning toward water in the fuel but anytime I've experienced it, It only took a mile or two before it crapped out. 

Was the soot that came out of the tailpipe oily? Judging from the pics, it wasn't.  

On Wed. when the car was towed, was it parked uphill, downhill, level when it wouldn't start?

Mark,

I do not remember the smoke smelling sweet. I sniffed at it, knowing I would be asked. It was, to the best of my ability, an odor that reminded me of a mechanics shop. Duh, that is not a good answer. But I can't pinpoint either gas, oil, or coolant. Didn't obviously smell of any of them.

I did not drive on, went back into carport. Quite possibly it was a humid day, not sure tho. We do get a lot here. But later on in the day when I started her, there was no white smoke. I drove to town and back (about 10 miles round trip) without incident. Since then, there has not been a reoccurance of the white smoke. It was a one time incident. Which, I hope is a good thing.

No, the soot in the tailpipe did not feel oily. Just powder.

Thank you,

Jai

Not loony at all. Water does settle at the bottom of the tank. The underground 100% gas tank could have a lot of condensation in it. Probably is not a big seller. Also pure gas, no alcohol. Not a chance of mixing the water with the gas.

There are a number of alcohol based products avail. to rid your tank of water. Alcohol is one of the few solvents that will mix with water and petroleum. Most are less than $10.00. Or you could drain the tank either by siphoning or pulling the plug on the bottom. If it has a full tank, I'd siphon it. You won't waste the gas, you'll be able to see the water in the bottom & avoid it.

That's why I asked about water in the tank earlier. But Jai did say that the "smoke" lingered for awhile. Another question, if its oil burning why doesn't it happen all the time? 

Jai, at what level do you keep your fuel tank, or should I ask, how empty do you let it get and for how long?

Oh forgot... RB is parked in the carport which is flat. Did not talk about the rough starting, gasping to die, on the white smoke time. Ran, but really rough, gas pedal was only way to keep her going while I drove to mailbox and back. Is that also typical of water in the gas? And yes, I suspect that gas station does not sell 100% gas often.

Ok, sounds like maybe we might be closing in on the white smoke problem. I do not have the availability to empty the tank. I think you are saying that an alcohol based product would eliminate or mix the water, if there is still more in there? That would be a different product than the Techtron FI cleaner, or Stabil? Both I was told to get, but have not used since the white smoke, wanting to not throw something else into the confusion. I am thinking that you are suggesting something like Heet? I have not used it, nor read the label. Supposing that maybe just by the name, it might be what you are talking about? I do not have the way to go get what you recommend, must wait until my tow once a week becomes available to me again. Which would be Thursday. Just in case. Steve also recommended to take the starter spray with me on the next outings, to try and see if I can get past needing a tow. I will do it now that the weather has cooled down. Not sure I'd want to do it in the real hot weather for obvious reasons.

Thank you for your interest and assistance!

Onward...

Jai