IGNORED

1973 Rebuild

5 hours ago, Captain Obvious said:

Takhli, I recommend that you get yourself a small granite surface plate for that kind of work. Haha! I'm no machinist or engine builder, and I have one. :)  And despite the picture of that beautiful Starrett that you and I would both probably love to have, I'm not suggesting you need to spend big bucks. But I do think seventy dollars would be well spent to purchase a small import...

... Based on the workmanship details posted so far, I suspect Takhli actually IS one of those less common guys who has a true understanding of the concepts behind what he is doing and can get the same results from sub-standard equipment. But even with that as a possibility, I just want to make sure you are getting what you're paying for.

It's also potentially future trouble for other people trying to use the same alternative tools without having the understanding and expertise necessary to achieve the desired results. In other words, I don't think the phrase "Hey, take this over to that door over there and make sure it's flat." should become common workmanship instruction in the world of engine building...

Thanks, Captain! You bring up some very good points that I'm really glad you explained well. You're especially right mentioning that a novice could find him or her self in trouble using less than precision tools. I may look into that granite, too.

Haha! Well need I remind you that I'm not a professional, so just keep that in mind with any advice I may espouse.

May I offer you the use of my surface plate? My project du jour is replacing my original throttle body bushings with Delrin bushings, and I whipped the granite out the other day to check the mounting surface. (Actually, I just took the plate out to take a pic, but it looked wrong naked, so I plopped the throttle body down on it for the pic):
P1100922_zps8gezduiy.jpg

I don't foresee needing it again until the spring at least, so it's yours if you would like to borrow it. Like I said, it's no Starrett like the nice one I'm sure you used at work, but it's good enough for the home shop work that I do.  :)

Edited by Captain Obvious
  • Like 1

Haha! Well need I remind you that I'm not a professional, so just keep that in mind with any advice I may espouse.
May I offer you the use of my surface plate? My project du jour is replacing my original throttle body bushings with Delrin bushings, and I whipped the granite out the other day to check the mounting surface. (Actually, I just took the plate out to take a pic, but it looked wrong naked, so I plopped the throttle body down on it for the pic):
P1100922_zps8gezduiy.jpg
I don't foresee needing it again until the spring at least, so it's yours if you would like to borrow it. Like I said, it's no Starrett like the nice one I'm sure you used at work, but it's good enough for the home shop work that I do.  [emoji4]

Thanks, but I just bought him one so we're good to go.

A quick post showing some more of our parts inventory. This is some of the stuff I pulled off of the L24 that the car came with, as well as some of the things I've mentioned previously. These will get cleaned, evaluated, and boxed for later.
FullSizeRender.jpg
50836582550__E70E04EB-5910-48E9-949F-A9C1C9CF6EEF.JPG
^ Needs replacing.
IMG_2086.JPG
IMG_2084.JPG
IMG_2083.JPG
IMG_2085.JPG
50836738495__CB2D7761-EBDD-4FBA-ACC1-E91C1146F5C9.JPG

Gonna try to avoid buying any more parts before mid-March, so we'll focus on what we have going for now.
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Captain Obvious said:

Nice. I'd eat off that.

Is that some sort of anomaly between cylinders 4 and 5, or just a trick of the light?

You know, Captain, I  think it's a bit of Marvel Mystery Oil from my hand, but it could also be the light. You've got me wanting to go unwrap it, to look!  :)

I'll let you know, later.

6 hours ago, siteunseen said:

Looks great!

I think the camera is playing tricks too, I can't see any cross hatch on the walls.  What rings are you using?  Thanks, I'm just curious. 

The rings are JE Pro-Seal

IMG_1600.JPG

We've got a cross-hatch but I don't know what grit our machinist used during the final honing (I'll ask, 'cause I think that info would make Matt's build log more complete). I've never before installed rings like the set we used here. They were pretty much the choice of our machinist but they were also the ones JE talked with me about when I called them for info on ordering. Thanks for mentioning it...

They have a Chrome Top Compression Ring,...

IMG_1977.JPG

a Moly #2 Compression Ring,...

IMG_1976.JPG

and then, what appeared to be a conventional oil control ring set. I think chrome rings are tougher to seat than molly, so this was an interesting configuration to me. I was taught that ring material determined the cylinder wall finish but I haven't had to actually bore and hone a block in years, and materials have changed. With the different rings here, I think we may have a slightly protracted break-in period.

Again, I'll ask those questions and get back to you.

I'll have more info on all this stuff, later.

Cheers

IMG_1600.JPG

Edited by Takhli
Misspellings
  • Like 1