IGNORED

1973 Rebuild

I used a product called Quiet Car - I believe. You sprayed it in on . Much lighter than Dynomat . Wouldn't know how to compare it to other products . Comparisons would be so subjective. I have a very loud exhaust so not sure anything would help but a huge muffler. 

I wasn't really worried about weight at the time , just got a deal from another member on the stuff . 

I had seen articles about homemade Lizard skin products. In this whole process (car restoration) I always look at the cost savings vs. benefit. If I make a DIY Lizard skin and I have a failure or problem later, was it worth it? There will be thousands of dollars tied up in this car by the end. Am I willing to take a chance on a DIY product to save $100 or $150, for me the answer was no...for some the answer is yes. As I get older I am less inclined to gamble on getting the results I want versus saving money. I don't have time to do this car twice...FWIW my 2 cents

• Like 1

I did the DIY lizard skin and not only saved a bundle but I can't imagine the car would have been any cooler or quieter had I spent more money, it's simple and it really works. Half a gallon white Tremclad rust paint and about a pound of Microspheres/Microballons, that's it. Mix them together until you have a very thick paste and paint it on. From the research I did I don't think LS is using anything different then paint and microscopic glass spheres. I think my total cost was $50, at that time LS was $400 per gal.

9 hours ago, ksechler said:

Did you do anything for heat insulation?

I used dynamat and dynaliner.  I can't report on the results yet, I'm not quite done.

I coated the interior with my version of LS (microspheres are known more for their heat insulating than sound), then laid in 40 sqft of MurderMat, then 1/2" thick auto carpet underlay. Compared to the stock 240z ambient sound this car was like riding in a Lexus, very quiet. Other Z guys that drove the car always commented how different it was from their Z, also the window tinting really helped keep the heat out as well. You'll be glad you went to the extra effort.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...