IGNORED

1973 Rebuild

10 hours ago, Diseazd said:

All four engines use Isky reground Stage III cams (I wouldn't use anything less....they are fantastic) and valve springs. The rockers will geometry correctly using between .150 and .180 inch valve lash pads. These engines are very quick (not brutal), and very streetable and a blast to drive.

I had a new Isky stage III cam and his springs in my E31 I purchased. The machinest said where the @#%&^*! did you get those springs.

They are insane spring pressure for a street car. And look at the Isky retainers. I said what. He goes look they are hitting the rocker arms.

They must be machined down. No way I said. Sold the cam springs and retainers. Good thing he showed me. Never again Isky for me.

The cam grind was good only waaay too much for 8.8 CR engine. Buyers beware, things must fit together. No such thing as bolt on and go.

7 hours ago, Lumens said:

I had a new Isky stage III cam and his springs in my E31 I purchased. The machinest said where the @#%&^*! did you get those springs.

They are insane spring pressure for a street car. And look at the Isky retainers. I said what. He goes look they are hitting the rocker arms.

They must be machined down. No way I said. Sold the cam springs and retainers. Good thing he showed me. Never again Isky for me.

The cam grind was good only waaay too much for 8.8 CR engine. Buyers beware, things must fit together. No such thing as bolt on and go.

If your rockers hit your retainers, whoever built your engine must not have geometried the rockers correctly. The only way that happens is if the the lash pads are so thin that the end of the rocker is too low in the hat......my guess is he went back with stock lash pads. With the grind on a Stage III cam, a much thicker than stock lash pad must be used to center the pattern on the rocker. As far as spring pressure is concerned, I trust Isky to know what is and isn't correct for their cam profiles for the street......they've been doing this a very long time. However, when installing this set up in an L24 head, shorter valve seals must be used (because of the higher lift). All five of my Z's have Isky cams and springs ........flawless performance. Sorry you had a problem.

IMG_0340.MOV

IMG_0342.MOV

26 minutes ago, Diseazd said:

If your rockers hit your retainers, whoever built your engine must not have geometried the rockers correctly. The only way that happens is if the the lash pads are so thin that the end of the rocker is too low in the hat......my guess is he went back with stock lash pads. With the grind on a Stage III cam, a much thicker than stock lash pad must be used to center the pattern on the rocker. As far as spring pressure is concerned, I trust Isky to know what is and isn't correct for their cam profiles for the street......they've been doing this a very long time. However, when installing this set up in an L24 head, shorter valve seals must be used (because of the higher lift). All five of my Z's have Isky cams and springs ........flawless performance. Sorry you had a problem.

IMG_0340.MOV

IMG_0342.MOV

I've seen those retainers.  Schneider recommends them for their race stuff. They look like Honest Abe's top hat. LOL  They're for .250 and thicker lash pads, IIRC

Isky sells numerous retainers for different profile cams......if you have a hat designed for a .250 or greater lash pad, you've got the wrong retainer. The retainers that Isky sent me for a Stage III regrind will handle a .150 lash pad with no contact..... no problem. Anytime you go away from a stock build, you have to check and recheck wipe patterns, clearances etc. Like I said, they've been grinding cams for a long, long time.....I am thrilled with their product and wouldn't go anywhere else. The Z Doc recommended this set up........good enough for me.

1 hour ago, Diseazd said:

Isky sells numerous retainers for different profile cams......if you have a hat designed for a .250 or greater lash pad, you've got the wrong retainer. The retainers that Isky sent me for a Stage III regrind will handle a .150 lash pad with no contact..... no problem. Anytime you go away from a stock build, you have to check and recheck wipe patterns, clearances etc. Like I said, they've been grinding cams for a long, long time.....I am thrilled with their product and wouldn't go anywhere else. The Z Doc recommended this set up........good enough for me.

That's what I was trying to say, I'm no good at explaining without pictures.

I think they may have gotten the wrong component kit for that cam. Too stiff springs and too high of cups for the lash pads.  I'm basing that on my ordering from Schneider.  MSA sales the whole kit. When I bought straight from Schneider I had to choose the components myself for the profile I had them cut. :)

• Like 1

Got the quotes back from the body shops. Looks like it's going to cost $2,200 to $2,800 to do the rotisserie restoration of the body. The guy I trust the most ended up being the most expensive of the ones that made the final cut. Most of the ones who didn't make the first cyst were also more than $30k. The one that came in sub $20k was super shady.

Time to sock away more cash.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk