madkaw

L28+(maxima)47 build

9 hours ago, siteunseen said:

Re tired!

That's what you told me, time to get to work. LOL

It’s funny how you need to get to work when you retire from work!-lol! 

I can’t keep up with retirement .

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, madkaw said:

Can’t believe this thread is 4 years old. Man I’m slow. I did order a cam today for the build . Potter Racing cam! Once I have it in hand I can actually start the rest of the assembly. Need to work out lash pads once cam is here, then check PVC - hope that works out well -eek! 

Meanwhile the 3.2 block gets a bath so I can drop the crank in! 

I know the feeling, I have always finished my projects fast i think but the last project, my Mr30 E88 Head build with the potter cam  (same as you have i guess?) will take a long time. Really annoying but sometimes you just have to accept that $^!# happens and sets back things like this.

Keep up the good work. I’m interested to see how it works out.

/Andreas

I am very interested in how this turns out.  Recently I bought a 1969 240z with a L28, F54 and an MN47 head.  Of all the zeees that I have had (240z 1970, 1971, 1971, and a 1972) this is the most powerful and the most stable of them all.  It will scream up to 6500rpm or idle at 500-600 rpm without issues.  From what the previous owner said, the engine had been rebuilt in Japan (still has the Rebuilt by Nissan Japan sticker on it) a it had come out of a 1982zx turbo, along with the Borg Warner 5 speed transmission.  Only other thing I know about it so far is that it has a super light weight flywheel and centerforce clutch...

Anyway I am digressing, so back to the subject...I am very curious how yours will turn up since I am planning to change pistons later on ( I am assuming that I have the dished pistons and dont know what cam i have but I am assuming it is the stock???) if I have dished, in order to squeez just a couple of ponies out of.  May or may not change the cam, and will definetely not change the SU which were obtained  from or reworked by ZTherapy.. 

Thanks for taking the time to keep us posted.

On 5/30/2019 at 1:42 PM, 240z70 said:

I am very interested in how this turns out.  Recently I bought a 1969 240z with a L28, F54 and an MN47 head.  Of all the zeees that I have had (240z 1970, 1971, 1971, and a 1972) this is the most powerful and the most stable of them all.  It will scream up to 6500rpm or idle at 500-600 rpm without issues.  From what the previous owner said, the engine had been rebuilt in Japan (still has the Rebuilt by Nissan Japan sticker on it) a it had come out of a 1982zx turbo, along with the Borg Warner 5 speed transmission.  Only other thing I know about it so far is that it has a super light weight flywheel and centerforce clutch...

Anyway I am digressing, so back to the subject...I am very curious how yours will turn up since I am planning to change pistons later on ( I am assuming that I have the dished pistons and dont know what cam i have but I am assuming it is the stock???) if I have dished, in order to squeez just a couple of ponies out of.  May or may not change the cam, and will definetely not change the SU which were obtained  from or reworked by ZTherapy.. 

Thanks for taking the time to keep us posted.

Might be comparing apples to oranges going from a 2.4 to a 2.8 with a small chamber head. I bet it goes . Not a lot of combos like this to compare too. One member on here is running the 54/mn47 but I can’t remember who. 

Anywho, waiting on my Potter cam to come in to finish this engine build. I am trying to resist the forces of going straight to my 3.2, but it’s tough. I really want to prove a point( might be wrong) , that this head is a really good option for a build. 

2 hours ago, 240260280 said:

I have L28 with  shaved N47 in Blue.  I hope to get back at it soon. A bit like an MN47 but not quite a peanut shape nor as much squish area.

cc2.jpg32ccN47.gif

That’s a lot of shaving to get that CR! I’m gathering at least .080 . Does the n47 have the D shaped biased ports ? Not sure there’s enough in common between the heads to compare - but like you be glad to hear it run 

Actually moving forward again on the motor. The big cam arrived and I can start doing lash pads . Should get lucky and have just two sizes , and I have a set for the one size. Short block is just where I left it - all assembled under the bench. Things should roll pretty fast now. I was hoping for this high drama push to put the big motor in at the last minute to make it to Z con- but reality just kicked my arse again. Be glad to take the 2.4 !

EA72B582-4D61-4B01-8800-64636DDB4BA7.jpeg

• Like 1

Well my 190 lash pads arrived yesterday so I am chumping at the bit to get going on assembly,  trying to take a deep breath before start. Don’t want to rush this . Biggest thing to check now is piston to valve clearance . All other projects are put on hold until this thing is assembled !

Also think I snagged a G-force t-5 trans to mate up with this. For those not familiar it is the Nissan T-5 from the ZXT that gets its guts ripped out and replaced with WC T-5 guts. Larger main shaft and tougher gear sets . Pro- tower shifter , hydraulic TOB! The beauty is that you get a trans that is good for 600 hp , better gear ratios and it just bolts up!

• Like 3

4 hours ago, madkaw said:

Well my 190 lash pads arrived yesterday so I am chumping at the bit

That's a new one.  How about chimping?  Which is worse...

Lash pads installed !

.525 lift and still room for the valves and pistons to share. Waiting on a adjustable cam sprocket and still debating on the balancer . Thinking about spending the $$ because I want to use it on my L32 eventually . Also waiting on some hardware to finish buttoning up things . 

85FB8C4A-24D0-4232-86F8-6310C514B0E4.jpeg

• Like 1

Nice!!

What head gasket (thickness) was used and how tight was it between pistons and valves?

Is the head shaved and how much in that case?

//Andreas

That was a good idea for a dial indicator mount surface!

11 hours ago, madkaw said:

Lash pads installed !

.525 lift and still room for the valves and pistons to share. Waiting on a adjustable cam sprocket and still debating on the balancer . Thinking about spending the $$ because I want to use it on my L32 eventually . Also waiting on some hardware to finish buttoning up things . 

85FB8C4A-24D0-4232-86F8-6310C514B0E4.jpeg

Did you have to remove any material off the 190 lash pads?  If you did would you mind sharing your method?  Thank you Steve.

6 minutes ago, siteunseen said:

Did you have to remove any material off the 190 lash pads?  If you did would you mind sharing your method?  Thank you Steve.

Why would I remove material? I figured the size I needed and ordered the correct ones

1 hour ago, siteunseen said:

I bought a cam kit that came with 190s.  It's a .460 lift.  Thank you for your reply.

So what size do you need? The lash pads are available . Have you done a wipe with stock pads? 

• Like 1

No I haven't. It's the same one you and I talked about a few years ago. If I remember right you rebuilt an E88? Anyhow I want to do this before too much longer. I have all the parts just no time and the OE E88 runs great on there.

Theses were all Schneider had is what they told me. I have an idea of what to do to get them down but always listening/reading for a better way. Andreas, aka Moelk, installed the same one as.mine. i think he used 175s. I'll get it one way the other just not wanting to start a lash pad collection. LOL

Thanks for helping over the years. You have done some nice work.

2 hours ago, siteunseen said:

No I haven't. It's the same one you and I talked about a few years ago. If I remember right you rebuilt an E88? Anyhow I want to do this before too much longer. I have all the parts just no time and the OE E88 runs great on there.

Theses were all Schneider had is what they told me. I have an idea of what to do to get them down but always listening/reading for a better way. Andreas, aka Moelk, installed the same one as.mine. i think he used 175s. I'll get it one way the other just not wanting to start a lash pad collection. LOL

Thanks for helping over the years. You have done some nice work.

Okay- we’ll lash pads are available in most sizes . I wouldn’t modify any lash pad myself, I would just get the correct size . 

• Like 1

Well, depending on were in the world you live parts aren’t as available as in other places.

I live in Sweden and when i swapped my oem cam in my Us spec 240z for a Schneider cam (head had been rebuilt in the USA and the rebuilder wasent as exact/good as he should have been) the lashpads had to be adjusted a bit to get the exact wipe. I left the pads and my measurements to a mechanical school and they grinded them down to the size i wanted (then I could take some off if needed by myself with a small file.

For me it would have taken 2-4 weeks or so to get correct lashpads from the US. This way it took me a couple of hours.

I started with size 190 (that was all that msa had to offer) but can’t remember were i ended up, there were not to much that needed to be taken off the pads but still... better to aim for the exact same wipe on all then just make it work.

//Andreas

• Like 1

On 7/20/2019 at 3:55 AM, moelk said:

Nice!!

What head gasket (thickness) was used and how tight was it between pistons and valves?

Is the head shaved and how much in that case?

//Andreas

Sorry , I missed your post. Stock Felpro - so 1.25mm. 

Head has probably .025 shaved. 

.090 ex

.120 intake 

• Like 1

Well another set back or two. After staring at my valve train I realized my lash pads for the exhaust were to deep in the retainer putting the rocker too close to the edge. So I ordered a larger size and will sacrifice a little on my desired wipe pattern , but should gain more clearance for my rocker .

Also, my BHJ damper came in , but had defects so I had to send it back. Check your parts closely guys ( didn’t sound right did it -lol). When you are paying serious $$ for performance stuff it shouldn’t have defects. 😡

427698C5-4124-4633-B5B1-A071275C5E08.jpeg

A3408083-2422-40C9-8632-BD68680FE4C5.jpeg

• Sad 1