IGNORED

L28+(maxima)47 build

Cliff ,

i cant imagine that it wouldn't work. The gasket would just cover the notches .

id love to run LD, but it's a lot of work. Injectors and TB to mount. I finally broke down and bought a TIG , so I plan on using it . The LD intake has huge runners and long ones two. You would t think it but the they are twice as long as a N42 intake. 

So many ideas - so little time

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Well I almost( not really) forgot how much work this is . Thank god for the  Aleve !

Kind of doing this in the wrong order and now I am paranoid of nicking a seat with all this action. I found one spot already that will need to be checked with some lapping action. Ordered some smaller burrs so I can get around the guide a little better. Meanwhile I started the combustion chamber work. I've been trying a different tool in my arsenal to get things smoothed out. These chambers should come out nice and the 47 design should make for some good bang for the buck.

Not going for size as much as clean and smooth and efficient . 

IMG_1097.JPG

IMG_1098.JPG

Edited by madkaw

I lucked into an MN47/L28 combo that was a fresh rebuild. It's a nice combination. I had to open up the SUs all of the way to prevent it from being too lean. I've also considered researching a different needle profile to fatten up the carburetors some more.

I'm also running square port headers on the round exhausts. I haven't seen any issues thus far.

2 hours ago, madkaw said:

Which L28- tell me more :)

LOL I forgot which block. It's probably an N42, though I know better than to swear on it.It has flat top pistons. I asked the previous owner about details. He said that aside from the head and pistons, it was just a run-of-the-mill build. All I know is that the engine pulls a hell of a lot better than the old tired engine I had in the car.

Cmon Steve -is this just a teaser? I've got a thread going here about this engine combo and you just casually say you have one!!!.

Stronger than last engine? What timing are able to run? So you sure you have flat tops but in a N42 block?  Good to hear about the header, but I was pretty sure that wasn't going to be an issue. The liners should fit well inside the gasket. What octane are you running? I imagine the head hadn't been cut?    

I wouldn't purposely mess with another Steve.

We took it easy on the timing since I still had some regular mixed in with the premium. I have just been putting in ethanol free premium since a week before my friends and I did the swap. I wasn't too worried about the details of the engine since I got an insanely good deal on it. It even had a new clutch and flywheel thrown in. 

Here's a photo of the engine when it was in the previous owner's car.

DSC02620.JPG

So I guess you know what compression your dealing with? It will be interesting what timing you can run. I would definitely get a rich mixture going first. If you can run 35 all in I think you are doing good.   Looks like a serious set up, so I would venture it has a cam? Really no details on the engine?  

I do want to perform a compression check on the motor. I've been busy helping a friend with his LS1 240Z. If I can remember, I'll put the car on my ramps to see if I can get the block type. I also need to check the fuel pressure and decide if I am going to change out the fuel pump.

Finally, there is some re-wiring I want to do in order to power the fuel pump while starting.

Have you planned out what fuel pump you're going to use?