IGNORED

Datsun Parts LLC - gone to the dark side?

Zed Head

Actualy i did retorque the head bolts. Did check wipe patern.

If it were mine, i'de pull the head and check his work. When you get a response like you did, "it is mecanic it will fail"

that should put up big red flags right there.  I'm curious to see what failed. Could be a head gasket, cracked or eroded head

or a leaking valve in that cylinder or rings. Did you use a stethescope to listen for air leaking in the intake and exhaust manifolds?

Are you sure the cylinder was TDC when you did the leak test? How did the compression test go?

Anyone dealing with this company deserves what they get! How many times do you have to hear complaints about trashy built engines to figure out they don't have a clue? Can't imagine what the transmissions are like. I recently had a great experience with this company. I ordered the choke plate that secures the plate to the tunnel under the console. Datsun Parts charged $45.00 plus $7.00 shipping. Bought another a week later from Art Singer for $25.00 plus $5.00 shipping........exact same part, finish and all.. Wow, what a difference.....Datsun Parts LLC must be laughing all the way to the bank!

• Like 1

Bought another a week later from Art Singer for $25.00 plus $5.00 shipping........exact same part, finish and all.. Wow, what a difference.....Datsun Parts LLC must be laughing all the way to the bank!

Art Singer is a great guy, met him at the Datsun show in Canby earlier in the year. I've ordered the same bracket from him. He also started ZCCM Z Car Club Magazine. As far as Al Allen helping to supply Wheeler Dealers with parts for the Z they did I wonder how badly he raked the Brits over the coals ?

Edited by barker4tf5

Who is Art Singer and how does one buy parts from him?

It's tempting to surf Al's site and find all of the stuff he's marked up (there's a bunch) but if he can offer a proper return policy and respond to people's problems that would be reasonable.  But a big markup on RockAuto parts, with no returns allowed is just not right.

The Wheeler Dealer show probably gave him a big bump in sales though.  Easy money, no conscience required.

Edited by Zed Head

I'm not sure if this is allowed or not so I appologize ahead of time if not. But here is the choke plate and Art is the seller. Never hurts to mention you saw it here to him. This plate is a great idea. Just follow the enclosed instructions to the "T"

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Datsun-240Z-1972-73-Choke-Cable-Lever-Mounting-Bracket-/281783656538?hash=item419b9d605a&vxp=mtr

You might have to copy & paste the link.

We should start a poll thread with all known suppliers listed and just keep track of who's good and who's bad.  I've started two specific threads about problems but kind of feel bad that we don't recognize the good work.  MSA, for example, did swap a bad mirror for a good one, after I called them.  

This would give anyone who does their due diligence a chance to see some real-time feedback.  Everybody wins.

We should start a poll thread with all known suppliers listed and just keep track of who's good and who's bad.  

The situation with this vendor is similar to one in the Porsche 914 community.  A large supplier of new and used 914 parts operates on the business model of, "You can fool some of the people all of the time and all of the people some of the time".  He's been doing it successfully for decades as there are always new enthusiasts looking for parts for their cars.  When a customer gets a bad part, the wrong part, or a damaged part, it's the customer's problem or fault.  No service after the sale.  Customers who haven't been "stung" love him and those who have, hate him.  Like Al, the vendor is quick to point out all the satisfied customers who sing his praises.  He talks a good story and dismisses unhappy customers as malcontents.

Sooooo, would a poll thread be useful?  Maybe.  Or, it could just become a place to vent.  I've scratched Datsun Parts, LLC from my list of parts sources  (remember that LLC means Limited Liability Company and protects the owner's personal assets during legal conflicts).  I'll stick with MSA and some of the other suppliers who have built unquestionable reputations over the years.

Dennis

Edited by psdenno
  • Like 1

That's funny you say that about LLCs in the name of a consumer type business, I feel the same way. It may as well read Datsun Parts BUYER BEWARE

Yup. If an LLC rents its physical location, keeps office equipment to a bare minimum, and keeps very little inventory by drop shipping, there are few, or no, assets to go after in a legal settlement. While an LLC serves a good purpose for many businesses, it also offers a trap door for an easy escape if needed.

Dennis

LLC is essentially no different then an S corporation.  Both legal protections can be pierced by a good lawyer.  All it takes is a couple personal transactions from the business accounts and the S Corp/LLC shield is useless.  Single member LLCs and S Corps are even more vulnerable.  As always, the conduct of a business is 100% in the hands of the owners, regardless of the type of company organization.