IGNORED

Project Boondoggle (or, so I went and bought a Z!)

charliekwin

Yes, there are cutouts in the carpet for the cargo straps. I don't have the straps or all the accompanying hardware, so I've left them for now.  One day...  I also still need to order the outer seal; didn't get one for my birthday :)

I was kind of enjoying not having myself and the rest of the house smelling like gasoline, but beating on the fuel pump doesn't seem like a proper long-term solution for a non-British car.  Hope it's easy and/or cheap to fix.

nice work on the deck - funny how we sweat the details while in the midst of a project and then after a week all those little issues seem to vanish from view...

re: the fuel pump - do you have an inline filter between the tank and pump? perhaps some rust/crud from the tank is causing problems?

How funny is that... I've been doing the exact kind of work on the rear decking on my car right now too! I'm at the cardboard template stage and haven't started cutting MDF yet. I've got my rear cargo covers installed and am working on dropping the rear deck as much as I can to reclaim some of the space back there.

That's beautiful work on your rear decking. it is my belief that the original stuff was mass produced with large gaps such that the panels would fit into any 77-78 without interference regardless of the other parts involved. If you're making a custom set, you can cut those tolerances way down.

I have an inline filter in place, but crud doesn't seem to be the problem.  The fuel pump either isn't getting power or isn't running. Both times this has happened occurred during (attempted) start up, and I've never had the car stumble or die on me, so I'm thinking something like motor brushes going bad.

Agreed Cap.  Actually, until I saw pictures of other decks, I thought what I had was actually a DIY job done by one of the POs.  Another reminder that it was a budget car from the 1970s :)  All that space down there really entices me to put something under it.

The pump parts can get stuck after stopping.  It's essentially a set of roller bearings in a cage.  Some rust, wear, or debris can jam it, then a tap can break it free.  A mechanical problem, not electrical.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

A nice B-day present from my dad came in a few days ago!  Like many others, I went with Interior Innovations.  First impressions are really good: the vinyl feels like it's high quality, the covers are nicely padded, and the stitching looks to be well done.  I have the seat foam as well, and as soon as some more materials from Your Auto Trim get here, I'll be able to tackle that job.  I'm excited to get it done.

IMG_4214.jpgIMG_4215.jpgIMG_4216.jpg

And since the seats are coming out and the interior panels are already out, may as well deal with the headliner while I'm at it.  I pulled the old one out and uncovered another little surprise.  Apparently one of the POs thought that sticking a piece of plywood up there would help it stay in place?  I dunno.  Glad I bought the gallon size of Goof Off last month -- I used a lot of it to clear the crud off the roof.  The whole roof was then covered with Raammat.  I usually don't do full coverage, but to avoid any problems with the headliner drooping or the edges of the deadener showing through the foam, this felt like the best route.  Headliner is in the same order from Your Auto Trim.

IMG_4206.jpgIMG_4209.jpgIMG_4212.jpgIMG_4213.jpg

Finally, an unrelated project I took on after finishing the deck.  I had some MDF scraps left over, and a couple small drivers and other miscellaneous audio bits I'd used in the G and other projects, so I made a little upgrade to my audio system in the garage.  It doesn't have a lot of bass, but considering I was previously using only my laptop's built-in speakers, it's a solid improvement.  Makes working upside down on the inside of the roof a bit easier :)  

IMG_4201.jpgIMG_4202.jpgIMG_4203.jpgIMG_4204.jpgIMG_4205.jpgIMG_4207.jpgIMG_4208.jpg

RIP, my daughter's old bunny, who heroically sacrificed her polyfill for a greater cause.

Edited by charliekwin

looking at your headliner pics reminds me of when i did that job - a real pita working upside down in that tiny cockpit.

some tips: do a complete dry-fit test before spraying glue, then hold it in place, pull and spray 1 side then when it's all tucked in pull and spray the other. once the foam touches the cement it's a done deal so think before you stick. oh, and wear a beanie that you can toss when done - or be ready to go to the barber afterwards 'cause that glue don't come out!

• 2 weeks later...

Work on the seats is going well.  Stripping off the old covers was, well, gross.  (Probably should look at getting a tetanus booster...)  I did my best to knock the seat backs into something resembling a proper shape, then hit everything with the wire wheel to knock off any rust and loose paint and finally shot it all with a couple coats of semi-gloss Rustoleum so everything looks nice.

IMG_4219.jpgIMG_4220.jpgIMG_4225.jpgIMG_4226.jpgIMG_4228.jpg

I was planning on taking some photos during the seat re-covering, but yikes did I underestimate just how much work that is!  Getting the cord around the seat frame and tied off with just one set of hands is no joke!  They're looking nice and pretty, though.

IMG_4229.jpgIMG_4231.jpg

The probably-inconsequential-but-that-I'm-nonetheless-agonizing-over decision I'm currently trying to make: do I pull the seat cover down over the bolt holes for the recliner mechanism (top seat) or not (bottom)?

IMG_4230.jpg

Seat backs are up next.

• Mike featured this topic