IGNORED

Yutaka Katayama, 'father Of The Z' Nissan Sports Car, Dies At 105

Mr Camouflage

I suppose there will be yet another book about him?

If you didn't already get it, Art Singer sent an email to everyone subscribing to ZCCM, that there will be a major article about him coming, and that if you have any  stories or encounters to share, please contact him.

Unfortunately - and this is something that we are going to see more and more of - it revives and repeats several stories that are just plain falsehoods.

Yutaka Katayama's life story is unique, fascinating and extraordinary. It doesn't need all the hyperbole and misattributions. I just read a Facebook post thanking him for "creating" the Fairlady roadsters, 510 and 240Z. It's verging on Cargo Cult worship. Ridiculous. 

Someone on the Jalopnik story page said:

Nissan should do his legacy proud by making a Z that goes back to his original formula.

But I don't think  it'll ever happen. 

EPA, and safety regulations subdue the design goals anyone could ever have- for a commercial production car.    Building a brand-new 240Z might be a nice thought as well as a possibility with today's production tools, but  bad drivers and EPA regs spoil it all, unless you just want ONE prototype.  Which would be nice, with an aluminum engine, better/lighter suspension and lighter chassis (lighter everything!)  Nissan is just too busy making aeroynamic racecars with bumpers and electronic-everything  (350Z and 370Z) to bother with a sportscar that is just light, with two seats and goes, and has a heater, and maybe a radio.

Unfortunately - and this is something that we are going to see more and more of - it revives and repeats several stories that are just plain falsehoods.

Yutaka Katayama's life story is unique, fascinating and extraordinary. It doesn't need all the hyperbole and misattributions. I just read a Facebook post thanking him for "creating" the Fairlady roadsters, 510 and 240Z. It's verging on Cargo Cult worship. Ridiculous. 

Experts should never ready any media (including social media) on the topic of their expertise. :) People will always conflate the myths and falsehoods with the truth. It gets mixed well so that you can no longer distinguish one from the other. While I hear the tales being told and know they aren't completely true, I can smile and enjoy them nevertheless.

I got to meet and talk to Mr K in 1972 at Road America. A friend from our local sports car club ask me if I wanted to

come down to the track on Thursday and help set up a big tent with tables and chairs. The area Datsun Dealers got this

put together and this same friend was a salesman at one of these Dealerships. It was July and BRE brought 3 510's

to the track for the 2.5 Trans Am Series. As my buddy put it, we got the "big guy" from Datsun USA here and we are

going to show him a good time. He goes, we rented him a condo in town (Elkhart Lake). I didn't even know who

this Mr K was at the time. Plus I was driving a TR6 at the time. Now I can say it since his passing that the Datsun Dealers

set up a party for MR K on Friday and Saturday nite after leaving the track. As a suprise they got some strippers up

from Milwaukee for some entertainment. Well I understand he had the best time of his life. He really, really

liked his surprise guests. Ha.

On Saturday I was standing at the fence with a beer and a brat watching the 510's practice and qualifying. Next thing Mr K walks

up and stands next to me with his own beer and bratwurst and starts a conversation. Wow.

This was a really down to earth guy that really did like people. He really liked beer and famousGerman  Wisconsin bratwurst.

I wish I could remember exactly how he put it but he says to me something poetic like beer is to bratwurst  like bratwurst

is to beer. Anyway it sounded exactly what a person from Japan would come up with.

Never forgot that day. A few years later I found and purchsed a one owner 72 240Z and still have it.

• Like 3

He was also a great Rotte Race Team Manager.

If you're talking about the 1958 Mobilgas Trial, it was actually Yasuharu NAMBA who was the race team manager.

I can't think of any other instance when Katayama was a race team manager.