IGNORED

Z 432 At Rm Auction Amelia Island

26th-Z

I don't know the history of this car and I didn't read all the posts, so forgive me if this has been covered.  Is this car unrestored?  I notice what looks like rust under the hood seal at the cowl and the seal itself is rather cracked.  Awesome car, but it's surprising to see flaws like that on a car that sold for $253,000.  Also, what's with the blue marks around the unused holes on the inner fender?  I can't quite figure that out.

Those are not flaws, it gives a car character and patina is hard to fake.

This broke the mold, it will bring our beloved Z to a step closer as a true collector's J tin.

It really didn't break anything, except perhaps the bubble of self-certified complacency that has believed the HLS30 'Datsun 240Z' was the whole story and that nothing else mattered.

So, welcome to 1969. 

It's a very special and rare car.......240Z's are numerous......I still say that a really, really nice 240Z will bring 75% of what's invested......but, they sure are fun to own and drive, and they are readily available. Want to own for a big profit.....probably not. Maybe some day.

I wonder how much it would have sold for in Japan or England?

Moot point. It was sold where it was and how it was, and was bought (and underbid) by who it was.

Doesn't make it any more or less of a car. At half that sale price, or double, it would still be an important and rare piece of the jigsaw puzzle that is the story of these cars. 

Unless you think a high auction price suddenly changes what this car has always been?

It is more like "Welcome to a 2015 car auction in the new world."

I wonder how much it would have sold for in Japan or England?

I think Kats would probably have the best guestimate on the Japan market.  The rest of us can only dream of owning one.

Someday I will be able to afford to buy some of those 432 badges on yahoo Jp auctions for my 280.

Edited by hr369

Besides the badges, if one were to do a low buck LHD tribute car, what low buck DOHC motor would be appropriate?

Some metal reinforcement and full fibreglass on all corners, hood and hatch would be in the spirit and also low buck.

L6 block with that KA24 head that those guys on hybridz were talking about cobbling together.

I imagine somewhere in Japan there is an old rusty skyline with an S20 engine sitting in someone's yard there. You ever watch that youtube guy's channel wasabi

cars?  He has seizures when he sees a collectible car there just sitting and rusting.

But no matter how close it looks on the exterior, your charade is up when they see its LHD :D

T&A auto built a tribute car. Love that name btw.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8wLza2I1Y8

Edited by hr369