IGNORED

'72 240Z Rebuild

siteunseen

I figured that would be the answer to my question, thank you both.  So that means the head has had the bigger valves for awhile.  The intake seats do have a little magnetic pull though but nothing like the exhaust side.  I guess beryllium bronze has enough tin in it to attract the magnet.  Oh well, at least the steel seats are cheap but my machinist is gonna get sick of me quick.  I've been smoothing all the sharp edges in the combustion chambers and I tried my hand at unshrouding the valves.  Am I trashing an E31?  I sure hope not.

post-23570-0-88408500-1425737374_thumb.j

I assume you are using the Hg as a guide-though I see no guide lines marked on the head. Don't get under the fire ring of the HG, just the edge. Don't forget to do those nasty spark plug threads in the chamber. Smooth out any threads no being used. 

post-6833-0-85516300-1425740288_thumb.jp

Edited by madkaw

I see the scribe mark now. Don't know about soda blasting but I couldn't imagine it hurting anything top or bottom.

What month/ year is that head? Looks like the casting is not quite as good as mine. Mine is 9/71

I haven't seen anything that looks like a date code. It's an E31 that came with the tomato colored 240. Triple webers aluminum flywheel f54 bored thirty over with new dished itm pitons. He was following datsungarge.com to the letter. Needed money so now it's mine. Had to do something with it.

Thank you, sir. Greatly appreciated. It appears that my Delta stage II cam has mushed the Nissan ones leading to oil consumption. If I am going to the trouble of replacing the seals I might as well use the Ford ones.

Cheers, Mike

Edited by Pop's Z

I'm not planning on cutting any off the bottom unless it's not straight.  I am being careful not to cut much, just trying to blend everything together.  Am I making a big mess?  I got the P79 down for comparison and ended up spending the day cleaning up my garage.  It was 60 degrees and sunny, I needed that. 

Thank you, sir. Greatly appreciated. It appears that my Delta stage II cam has mushed the Nissan ones leading to oil consumption. If I am going to the trouble of replacing the seals I might as well use the Ford ones.

Cheers, Mike

You're most welcome.  After comparing the short Fords to the stock Felpros I think they'll be fantastic for our cars.  I ruined a brand new set just trying to remove them, they fit that tight onto the valve guides.  When I pulled the valves through them they made a "pop" sound.