IGNORED

1976 280Z Restoration Project

wheee!

Yup. I saw it looking a little off and grabbed the fender. The fender is a little rough too so I wasn't sure until I put a level across both sides. Now I'm happy!
IMG_4348.JPG

The son in law came over last night and did some awesome welding along the floor frame rails. Nice closed seams now and the floor looks great, hardly any buckles.
Didn't get pictures last night as we flipped the car back to upright to finish one of the suspension plate support welds. More pictures next week! I only work on the car Monday and Wednesdays at the moment.

So I figured out a problem I was having with accessing the areas around the bumper shocks. I wanted them gone so I could clean up the area underneath them in order to prep for paint etc.

The problem was the car was suspended by the bumper shocks on the rotisserie and I need the car on the rotisserie in order to paint the underside properly. So I decided to manufacture some rods threaded on both ends to bolt the car via the extra bumper mounts on the 280's.

Threaded the 10mm rod with 1.25 die.

IMG_4426.thumb.JPG.dbc124a414a7c32d03cfab50dd3e7445.JPG

threaded the rod into the bumper mounts and tensioned them with washers and nuts

IMG_4427.thumb.JPG.a9775f6b1a91b50e073ef9e33502466c.JPG

Added some piping to stiffen the bolts up and to provide standoff for the rotisserie

IMG_4428.thumb.JPG.b4cdbc42c852b0e84619d5faef68173b.JPG

added a small piece to adjust for the angle of the bumper mounts

IMG_4429.thumb.JPG.ae689b0563827610006bfeeeaafef3d6.JPG

Now I can work on the bumper mount areas. The new Tabco panels will replace the back corners and fill in the old bumper shock locations too.

IMG_4431.thumb.JPG.d914eb0db5997dcba27f08bc44b6a68b.JPG

IMG_4432.thumb.JPG.d9d4b1da17b3662d22440d06bfd21b4d.JPG

And now I can toss these!

IMG_4430.JPG

Edited by wheee!
  • Like 2

Wow. A little disappointed in finding almost 3/4" of bondo on the quarter panel. I knew there was a previous accident on this corner but I thought the replacement quarter panel was installed to fix it. Must of happened after the quarter repair.
IMG_4445.JPG
IMG_4446.JPG

You made that Tabco panel work! I was looking at mine thinking that it is completely the wrong shape or maybe it was for a different car. I'll have to have another look at mine.

How true. I put mine in place at first and thought....

"hmmmm, must be for a series 1!"

It took a little manipulating on the anvil and the hammer and dollies but it will be just right now. The Tabco panels are very square and mostly right angles. The car has softer curves and the metal has to curve away from the corners a bit. I am very happy with the fit at the moment. I have some metal work to do under the panel first as I found some rust but I am confident that it will look really good when I get it welded on.