IGNORED

1976 280Z Restoration Project

wheee!

Wait, if you have light in your tunnel that means there is a hole.  Sounds like more welding needed to me…….LOLJK.  Can't wait till you get your paint on!

LOL
I have a few holes still. Just feels good getting these major pieces in.
Paint is a ways off but yeah, it will look like a whole different car when I'm done. But that was the point...!

Minor update. Got the frame rail tacked in. Tacked the patch panels in place too. The pictures always look weird with the metal reflections looking bright then black etc. It will look so much better under primer. But that's later.
IMG_4254.thumb.JPG.dada85bba5ce8b7d6b5e7
IMG_4255.thumb.JPG.f2cb529f145dd3c6cdd5b
IMG_4256.thumb.JPG.fc31eae2471548bad5dc7
IMG_4257.thumb.JPG.fae3aed282e2b6ffed9a4

Nice progress.  Will you be ready to paint be the spring?  Have you given any thoughts to sequencing for your paint?  I agonized over this quite a bit on my project.  I ended up painting the underbody and engine compartment first and then doing most of the mechanical work before painting the outside.  It worked fairly well for me.  I didn't want to scratch the finished product during reassembly.  

Excellent point. I saw what you did and I think it will be same for me. I will probably paint the engine bay, interior and under body while on the rotisserie. Then mount all the under car lines and and running gear/suspension. Once it's on the ground and it's own wheels, I can work on the outer body work and final paint.
I hope to have the metal work done soon. I keep finding more things to fix and repair but that will only last so long too. I have to order the coilovers soon so I can open up the strut towers to access the camber adjustment screws. I also have to deal with the bumper shock mounts which are still bolted to the car and holding it to the rotisserie. Might have to touch those areas up last after the car hits the ground. Or not. Not sure yet!

46 minutes ago, wheee! said:

Small steps again. Finished the welds on the patch panels and tacked in the TC support. The welder was acting up last night. Lots of sputter and fizzle to the welds. Need to dial it in better.

Make sure you aren't out of shielding gas.  

I talked to my welder (Mat Tech) at work today and he mentioned it was a gas issue too. I just changed the tank about two weeks ago and it was fine at that time. It might be a nozzle flow issue even though I have lots of gas in the tank and it sounds like good flow.... I will look into it more for sure as this is a new issue.

Actually quite boring. Hardened steel angle iron. 3/8" x 3 1/2" cut down to 2 3/8" so the 2 5/8" channel will fit over it easily. A piece of flat stock 5/16" plate welded under it for height clearance and clamping area in the vice.... pretty simple. The red corrosion paint is marked with an identifying number for the metal stock.
No armour from a tank if that's what you were hoping for LOL!