IGNORED

1976 280Z Restoration Project

wheee!

Finished the rough work on the other side strengthening plate. I was just starting the cutting etc when my bench vise snapped in half! lol, I had to go buy a new one to finish the work....

Luckily for me, the Canadian Tire store is 5 minutes away and they were on sale for 65% off... Unluckily for me, I didn't realize the one I broke and threw out had a lifetime warranty.... ha! Oh well, I got a better one anyways....

Still need to do the finish welds on the front of the plates, grind them pretty and get them shaped just right for the frame rail installation. I will need to replace a lot of the metal above the frame rails too. Feeling better about this part of the job as I wasn't sure how I was going to make the replacement pieces.

Wheee, I'm going to steal your method when I make my frame rail/ X member strengthening plates if that is okay.

Have you noticed that the rusty area just above that plate you built and just below the shock tower is only 20ga sheet metal? I know the stresses on that inner fender coming from the X member and the shock tower above it are spread through out the connecting structure but it has always seemed strange that they left those 2-3" of 20ga inner fender without joining that X member plate to the shock tower. Maybe the shock towers wouldn't flex so much if they had.

• Like 2