IGNORED

1976 280Z Restoration Project

wheee!

On May 7, 2016 at 5:56 PM, wheee! said:

Here's a question.... Does anyone know of a company that will rewrap and restore a rubber wrapped steering wheel (original 280Z) with a new leather cover? I plan on painting the metal areas, but would love to have to professionally rewrapped in a leather stitched cover.

Lots of info about steering wheels here. I did mine last year. It wasn't too difficult, took less than day and it did not cost a whole lot. I can't seem to find the before and after pics but here is a view of it inside the cabin

IMG_1510.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wheee! said:

The media is actually a crystalline structure with sharp edges like coal. It is a by product of copper smelting and is hence called "copper slag" No copper content.

No issues with using this material at all. It leaves a slightly textured surface that is perfect for hi build primers and other sealants as it gives the perfect surface for adhesion.

The floor pans are ongoing as I have been deployed for the last two months and the prior month I was prepping some major yard work. I will be back working on the car when I return home mid June.

The floor pans will not be welded around the outside. They will be cut with the existing metal to form a perfect butt weld seam and then welded. It is easier to do the metal forming from the outside at the moment. All the parts are held in with Cleco's so they can be removed for fitting. The frame rail helps support the floor pan the correct position.

Thanks for the interest!

Oh I've been reading this thread for a while, I'm impressed with the way that the copper slag handles the accessories that were treated, it looks great. I'm about to start on one of my chassis, so I'm attempting to absorb as much information that i can, i appreciate the advice. Have a safe return! :D 

• Like 1

Keep in mind, I have been using two types of media. I use a crushed glass (ultra fine) for detailed work like the headlight surrounds and the horns etc. The copper slag was only for the rough underbody work etc.

I have detailed that in this thread in previous posts...

Keep in mind, I have been using two types of media. I use a crushed glass (ultra fine) for detailed work like the headlight surrounds and the horns etc. The copper slag was only for the rough underbody work etc.

I have detailed that in this thread in previous posts...

On 5/7/2016 at 2:56 PM, wheee! said:

Here's a question.... Does anyone know of a company that will rewrap and restore a rubber wrapped steering wheel (original 280Z) with a new leather cover? I plan on painting the metal areas, but would love to have to professionally rewrapped in a leather stitched cover.

I checked on this a few months ago as I have an extra steering wheel. Two upholstery shops in Phoenix quoted me $350 to leather wrap it. For the same money, you can get this out of Japan. Anyone tried one?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DATSUN-REPLICA-COMPETITION-COMPE-STEERING-WHEEL-240Z-260Z-280Z-510-GC10-GC110-/201594366981?hash=item2eeff5ec05:g:sDIAAOSwDNdV5-Xq&vxp=mtr

• 2 weeks later...

Back from training! Lot's of packages awaiting me on my return.... I received the spade style LED's for the dash mod, Chas's absolutely awesome bumper mod kit arrived looking like artwork, several packages from Eastwood with powder coating supplies including their new "chrome" powder that looks amazing in the pictures. I will try that out on one of the spare valve covers. 

Still trying to finish the major yard work project that I started before the last exercise.... almost done! Soon I can return to the 280...

Sad new is I might be losing my MIG welder. My son-in-law needs it on a job site out of town. Guess I will need to pony up and buy my own :(

• Like 3