IGNORED

1976 280Z Restoration Project

wheee!

Six hours in the shop yesterday.... Got some more media blasting done and then took a break to blow off a lot of the dust and have a look at the progress. Looks good, some small stuff still to do but getting there. I will have to wire wheel some spots where there's is some rubber residue etc.

decided to tackle removing the seat mounts. Wasn't looking forward to this as the floors had been rewelded by the PO and it wasn't going to be pretty. I was right. I ended up destroying a lot of the good sheet metal on the driver side trans tunnel removing the seat mounts. The passenger side fought less and came out a little easier. The spot weld cutters were a joke, both of them burnt out or broke on one side. Ended up using a small and large drill bit to do the rest. By the time I was done, I had a drill, grinder, air wheel cutter, sawzall, air chisel and hammer laying on the floor beside me. Let's just say I didn't feel like taking pictures of my work yesterday....:(

But they're out! And the metal can be replaced so it is still progress!!

Took a step back and cleaned the shop last night. Way too much media blasting dust escaping the tent. Oh well.

After that was cleaned up I had a look at the driver side floor pan from Zedd Findings. Close shape and size but I will still need to massage the metal a fair bit to get a good fit. Cut away the driver side frame rail and separated the rocker seam to get a better idea of what's needed. I don't want to rush this part! There are a lot of good posts on floor replacement I will need to re-read....

Ordered!!

Charlie is an awesome guy. Makes me proud to be Canadian... :)

Looking forward to seeing these in person. I will post pics as I go of course.

If you look back in this thread you will see the sorry state of the existing rails.

3 minutes ago, Patcon said:

I didn't know Charlie made those...or the rear valances either. That makes it so much easier to save questionable cars... 

This is a rear valence I got form Charlie.  Took a little shaping to get the bend right but otherwise a good thick steel. Thicker than the original.

GLW8961R.jpg

6 minutes ago, gwri8 said:

This is a rear valence I got form Charlie.  Took a little shaping to get the bend right but otherwise a good thick steel. Thicker than the original.

Good to know... I always found it hard to get a rear valance nice and even because the metal was so thin and easily stretched