IGNORED

1976 280Z Restoration Project

wheee!

What are the ultimate plans for the 76 280Z? Will you restore it back to original factory condition or resto-mod it? 

The car was never in an original enough state to restore it to factory. Replacement panels, multiple paint jobs and body work etc. Plus my wife wanted a safer and more modern version of the 280. It will be a resto-mod and be somewhat true to original. The main visual cue will be the 240 bumpers on the car instead of the 5mph monsters.

Nice gifts! Happy Holidays to you and your family. 

Thanks Matt! Same to you!

Edited by wheee!

Well, the asphalt undercoating is history. Let the sandblasting begin! So far so good. My sandblaster seems to have a hard time with a full load of grit in the bucket. Almost like the hose diameter is too small for the weight of the media. I remove all but a cup or two of media from the gravity fed bucket and it works awesome! Gonna have to re-jig this somehow. When it works, it works extremely well. 

Right now I am using a five gallon pail with black beauty copper slag grit. I picked up a ten foot siphon hose and pipe along with a basic gun for $22. This is working awesome! Proper protective gear hinders the progress a hit but overall it is working very well. 

image.thumb.jpg.b4cfec8f3dbd06cfebf316c1

image.thumb.jpg.64b09a042fd8f2d6050739b4

This is what it looks like between clean up sessions. Not great pictures but the first shot shows all the grit on the floor. Second after it has been filtered and put back in the blaster bucket.

image.thumb.jpg.2bb9e5f6a99abc811736f7b3

image.thumb.jpg.16c92d83f8c2a32b27757ddf

Edited by wheee!
  • Like 1

I used a similar (possibly the same) gun and media when I did my suspension components. Messy, but worked well enough, especially considering the whole setup was only about $40. One thing that I found helped was cutting some length off the feed hose; it was a bit too long out of the box.

• Like 1