IGNORED

1976 280Z Restoration Project

wheee!

Phosphoric acid creates iron phosphate. Pretty tough stuff. Scuff it up with some 180 or so and shoot over it. I would follow the fine print on the product you choose but from what I've seen there haven't been any issues. The more rust you remove the better but you really can't get it all that is why the panel changes color slightly when you treat it. I have concerns about treating some of the critical parts from nitrogen embrittlement but I don't plan to race the car and those can be mitigated if you are overly concerned. Don't use it on springs and spring steel!!!!

No pictures today but i scraped a lot more of the drivers front inner fender. Found a few more welded patches hiding under the undercoating along with more rust.... ugh.

It is going to take a lot of sandblasting to prep these parts for repair. Ordered a full face mask and hood for the portable blaster so I can tent the car once I am done the scraping. Still a few weeks of that to go I'm sure....

No pictures today but i scraped a lot more of the drivers front inner fender. Found a few more welded patches hiding under the undercoating along with more rust.... ugh.

It is going to take a lot of sandblasting to prep these parts for repair. Ordered a full face mask and hood for the portable blaster so I can tent the car once I am done the scraping. Still a few weeks of that to go I'm sure....

What size compressor do you have?  I found my compressor (5 Hp) was not able to keep up with blasting at all.  Couple other things...

The lenses or whatever you'd call it in the hoods/googles get pitted quickly and most of the time you can't see what you're doing.  Proper lighting can help.

Media gets everywhere.  My car still bleeds aluminum oxide at odd intervals.

The nozzle on your media blaster wear's out.  Have a spare.

The nozzle will clog.  Sift your media (twice) and keep your air dry.

Good luck!  I freaking hate blasting.  I'm glad I'm done with most of the big parts.  

What size compressor do you have?  I found my compressor (5 Hp) was not able to keep up with blasting at all.  Couple other things...

The lenses or whatever you'd call it in the hoods/googles get pitted quickly and most of the time you can't see what you're doing.  Proper lighting can help.

Media gets everywhere.  My car still bleeds aluminum oxide at odd intervals.

The nozzle on your media blaster wear's out.  Have a spare.

The nozzle will clog.  Sift your media (twice) and keep your air dry.

Good luck!  I freaking hate blasting.  I'm glad I'm done with most of the big parts.  

60 Gallon, 18 CFM, triple head 5hp compressor. I know it's small for blasting, but it's what I have. It never drops below 100psi, but I will have to go slow and let it catch up. I also have a 3 foot long, pellet filled desiccant tube attached for dry air.

I have lot's of fluorescent overhead lighting, a pull down trouble light over the car and a large LED spotlight too.

I have several media nozzles for the blaster.

I have a screen over the media barrel and will filter all recycled media

I don't mind blasting, I like the cause and effect and instant results. Not looking forward to the mess though... There will be a 6mil tent around the car to stop media from going all over the shop, but I will be careful with the cleanup and blowing out the cars cavities when I'm done. I think I'm going to start with the crushed glass fine media. it is slow, but does a very clean job.

Edited by wheee!