IGNORED

1976 280Z Restoration Project

wheee!

Working on the park brake linkage. I will not have park brakes on the rear discs (until AZC makes them again!) so I am installing the system minus the old cable that needed replacing anyways. I will figure out the remaining linkage when I finally get park brakes.

IMG_6297.thumb.JPG.87944069441bcae16e196dc3161485cd.JPG

IMG_6298.thumb.JPG.cba7b215f2bf6eae4f22fa99a6ebc9fb.JPG

I will probably add a spring for tension and that way the handle will work rather than flop around.

I didn't like my parking brake handle flopping around either so I added a spring. But I put mine topside.

Details in this thread (which I just updated with replacement pics): http://www.classiczcars.com/topic/49952-parking-brake-handle-return-spring/

Edited by Captain Obvious

I think there's already supposed to be a spring in the location you mentioned. That spring pulls the linkage to make sure the cables aren't under any tension when the brake is not engaged. But in order for that spring (that far back in the linkage) to prevent the handle from buzzing, you must have the system adjusted such that the handle is always "loaded", and I'm not sure I'm comfortable with that.

In other words... I want my handle adjusted such that the first two clicks or so are simply "taking up slack". I don't want the first click to apply brakes. I want to make double dog sure that my brakes aren't dragging, and I'm willing to sacrifice a click or two for that Piece of Mind.

My relatively weak topside spring is just enough to load the handle itself so it's held positively at the bottom of travel even when I have a little slack in the rest of the linkage.

Well that makes sense... my car did not come with any spring in that position as the rear brakes were all but completely missing inside the drums. The cables were slack and the mechanism clogged with asphalt underspray.... I will look at this again.

PA290059.JPG

Well therrrrsss your problem.  LOL

Without crawling under my car for confirmation, I believe that rear mounted spring connects between the tab on the body (with the small hole in it) and the yoke that pulls on the cables. I took a quick look in the FSM and couldn't find a pic of it, but I did have this pic. Pic was intended to show hard line routings of fuel pump, etc, but if you squint a little and **** your head to the side a little like a confused dog, you can see a spring in there between the yoke and the body:
rearspring.jpg

So the question would be... Do you already have a corresponding small hole in the yoke?

18 minutes ago, Captain Obvious said:

Well therrrrsss your problem.  LOL

Without crawling under my car for confirmation, I believe that rear mounted spring connects between the tab on the body (with the small hole in it) and the yoke that pulls on the cables. I took a quick look in the FSM and couldn't find a pic of it, but I did have this pic. Pic was intended to show hard line routings of fuel pump, etc, but if you squint a little and **** your head to the side a little like a confused dog, you can see a spring in there between the yoke and the body:
rearspring.jpg

So the question would be... Do you already have a corresponding small hole in the yoke?

Your pic didn't load, but I remember seeing a small notch in the yoke of the cable pull that would accommodate the other end of the spring... makes sense now.

Captain is on the right track. I forgot to fit the spring after rebuilding the handbrake and the linkages dattle all the time. You could hear it so good with the window down and driving past a sound barrier.

I have a photo of mine. It might be a little clearer.

IMG_0480.JPG

This is a good place to point out all the support and help I have received from this forum and the great people on it. I hope in posting all my pics in this thread that someone else receives help and guidance in their build. Cheers everyone!

• Like 3